1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roger Hicks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Mark,
    there is nothing on his web site nor is there anything on Facebook.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It may well be the case that Roger's family want a private funeral. If that is the case then their wishes should be respected.

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, could very well be so, but I do hope AP was able to make a contribution in some way.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

After Roger got his news, I wrote to him (here on AP) and continued until he died.
    I have just had an email from Frances and she tells me: Roger is buried in a lovely spot in the local cemetery. It overlooks farmland and is surrounded by trees. It is very peaceful.

If anyone does want to email Frances, just message me and I can give you the email address.

I'm happy to report she currently has the company of friends and family who are helping her at this hard time.

Kate

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Well done for keeping in touch. I'm sure your thoughts and wishes will have been a great help at a most difficult time.

Catriona likes this.
  6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Good to hear that Frances has friends and family around to give her support.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for passing that on to us, and I'm pleased that Frances is being well looked after at this time.

ascu75, Catriona and daft_biker like this.
  8. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this sad news. Sincere condolences to Frances.

ascu75 and daft_biker like this.
  9. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Really sorry to hear that.....i always thought he saw things that nobody else did....and as previously mentioned had a wicked sense of humour. He invited me for a beer or two next time i was passing through France...never got that chance.

peterba and John Farrell like this.
  10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

It would have been Roger's birthday today - a message came up on my Facebook feed.

Mark101 likes this.
  11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to him.

Mark101 and David Loxley like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes, Happy Birthday Roger. I really do miss his contributions here. I would like to think of him celebrating with some really good cava and bowlful of freshly caught oysters.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Raised a glass to Roger, wishing him happy birthday and a fortunate reincarnation.
    Let us also think of Frances for whom today will have been especialy painful.

Mark101, Geren, ascu75 and 6 others like this.
  14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, Dave - that occurred to me when I read @John Farrell's post (#110). I do hope she's doing Ok - or, at least, as well as can be expected.

Reading back through the thread, I saw @Catriona's post (#104) which - somehow - I seem to have missed at the time of posting. Thank you, Kate... it's good to hear that Frances has had the company of loved ones.

Mark101 and Geren like this.
  15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The issue of AP with Roger's last column finally appeared here - I bought the only copy in the only shop I know that stocks AP, in Dunedin.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  16. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

With one thing or another I've been away from this site for a while , so it made very sad reading indeed to hear of Roger's passing - I loved reading his pieces and the odd message we exchanged , a larger than life character and whether you agreed with him or not you always respected him and held him in the esteem he so richly deserved .
    Goodbye , Roger , you were loved .

17. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Ditto. Sorry to hear of his passing. Deepest sympathies to all his family circle at this sad time.

BigWill

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Wow, I can't believe I'm just hearing this now :eek: .... that is so, sad :( and much belated condolences to Frances and Roger's family and friend :(

I feel quite honoured to have had one of my photos analysed my Mr. Hicks.

Sincerely,

Jack

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I had his old Werra out a few weeks ago - I ought to share the photos...

20. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If I remember aright, he wasn't too keen on Werras.

S