1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Rodinal questions

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

I used to use Ilford Ilfosol developer but as I don't use it much it kept getting thrown away :(

I have ID11 and am trying that

But I have just bought this, I am told it lasts a long time, I don't care about the grain, what I dont know about "it lasts a long time is.............

Does it last a long time UNmade or made up

Thanks

IMG_20200601_162408118[1].jpg

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Same here, without the ID11.

Rodinal is supposed to last for years - sure there was a thread somewhere a long time ago about that.

Have been trying it semistand with two different films, Rollei R80s and Fomapan 200. The F200 has some grain, not as much as when I tried normal development, but there. The Rollei seems to have less grain that FP4+ in Ilfosol, which I do not understand.

Have a look at https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/the-relic-challenge.98411/page-50 , all I have done to them is sharpen slightly and play with the levels where necessary [my fault, touch over-exposed on the middle one.] This could be my go-to method in future.

Young Adrian and PeteE [and others] will know more than I ever will...

S

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  3. Stephen Rundle

But is that made up ?

4. steveandthedogs

As far as I know.

Pete E has some shots taken with 1992 FP4 and "very old" rodinal. Knowing Pete that probably means about 1923...

S

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Unmade it'll last for ever, even when it has crystals like rocks in the bottom of the bottle. Made up? Dunno, never tried it, I make up what I need.

(Young Adrian - thanks, where do you want the cash left?)

6. steveandthedogs

Suffering from the heat or early onset dementia. The reference to ID11 confused me wrt made up.
    I wonder if it would keep made up if kept under vacuum, using one of those wine bottle savers pumps, if it goes off otherwise.

Adrian, no rush for the brown envelope. Leave in usual place after lockdown finishes.

S

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I always use Rodinal now .
    It keeps and keeps , I've never had any due before I used it up .

I mix what I need as I need it .
    I don't mix up a batch for replenishment developing , at the price it costs I don't see the need to skimp on it .
    I use a fresh mix for each tank of film and it gives me consistent results .
    Consistencys good .

Edit ; if you read the bottle , it's does say on it it's a one shot developer , NOT a replenishment developer.

So mix what you need and use it , then chuck it , don't reuse it .

8. Stephen Rundle

What i don't understand is WHY is is so great value as compared to others

9. steveandthedogs

500ml, £12.95, 3ml per shot film stand dev, <8pence per roll.

And it doesn't go off in the bottle like Ilfosol, so effectively cheaper still.

Tight-fisted, me?

S

neilt3 and Stephen Rundle like this.
  10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I buy it due to the fact it doesn't go off , so I can get a big bottle without having to chuck it away in a few months .
    I also like how it develops my film .
    I usually mix it at 1+25 , 'cos I like to splash out ! ;)
    I might occasionally use it at 1+50 .

11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use Rodinal, at 1:50, to develop Kentmere 100. I discard the diluted developer after one use. The current bottle was bought at least 10 years ago.

Church demolition, Kentmere 100, developed in Rodinal, taken with a Praktica MTL3, yellow filter used.

IMG_0001.jpg

The church is being demolished, because it is too expensive to bring it up to current earthquake requirements.

12. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I had some and used it occasionally but never really got on with it. Buying it because it doesn't go off seems to be an odd way to choose a developer unless you like the look it gives. Personally, I'd go with ID11/D76 any time.

13. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That depends on how often you develop film,though - if you do a big batch every now and then, keeping qualities become important.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I like Rodinal because you can use it for stand development with nice results. On the other hand, there's a good reason why there are so many developers, even now. I used to really like Paterson's Aculux with HP5...

Gabby Bowman in East Budleigh cafe Eos 1000 Ilford HP5 1996-18_22.jpg

15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

When I develop film I have to black out the window of the downstairs toilet to load them into developing tanks , or for tray developing .
    So I tend to save up my exposed film to develop in batches .
    I've had some developers go off , but never Rodinal .
    I like how it develops my film anyway , so win win .

John Farrell likes this.
  16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I used D76 50 years ago, when I started developing my own films, but I found it a fiddle to make up. When I got back into monochrome in the early 2000s, I used Jessops Econotol 2, but found it went off quickly when opened. I bought some Rodinal in 2005, to develop the Agfa APX100 I'd just bought.

17. JMK

JMK Active Member

Ilford ID11 when it is mixed correctly with quite warm water, I know from experience that it will last at LEAST a year in a part used bottle. I mix a 1 litre box and split it into 2 x 500cc glass bottles that will ensure it lasts.
    I too believed that Rodinal lasted almost indefinitely but it seems that this is not always the case. Storeis abound that the formula has changed from the original Agfa brew and the resilting life is not as good as could have previously been expected. It is years since I used any and this may be down to bad storage by individual photographers but I will stick with my ID11 diluted 1 to 1