1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rodenstock Grandagon N 75mm f4.5 *drool*

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by downfader, Feb 28, 2006.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I think this is the lens that I want to invest in next. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've just read a lot on the web about the Grandagon N's in 90mm and 75mm and they seem to be the dogs dangly bits as far as other photographers are concerned.

I've seen a 75mm one on ebay for £250, but theres 5 days to go. I can see this going right up in value as it looks mint.

If anyone sees a 75mm Rodenstock Grandagon N with a 4.5 max aperture let me know ;) I'd prefer to buy from a dealer ideally (warranty for one). How much should I expect to pay? I'm guessing about £500 give or take? These are over a thousand pounds brand new... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Still... I'll have about £400 next pay day :D

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Sounds like you're succumbing to G.A.S. Dan! There's no known cure. :D

3. downfader

I know! And it really endears you to the opposite sex :eek:

4. eryri

eryri Well-Known Member

Hi Dan

Got the 90mm version myself, and yes; it's the dog's danglies :D One minor problem is the max aperture. F6.8 can be a pain in low light, but everytime I look at the prices being asked for f5.6 90mm lenses, I can't justify changing, especially when the f6.8 is so good. :)

5. downfader

Yeah I looked at the 90mm 6.8 on a few sites as well - lighter and slightly more compact by the looks of it. Anything up to f8 on a really bright day seems to be ok for most people from what I've read on the web. I found my schnieder 135mm at 5.6 was also perfectly acceptable when it got cloudy yesterday.

Isnt the 6.8 grandagon N supposed to be just as sharp as the 4.5 anyway? So yeah, why bother? :)

Do you find you need a center filter on the 90mm? Or does stopping down eliminate any vignetting? One website I can across yesterday there was a user with one, but he didnt make it clear whether he was using a 75 or 90? (And the post was very old so no point in replying LOL!)

6. eryri

eryri Well-Known Member

Never found a need for the centre filter on the 90mm. Mind you, it's rare for me to work any wider than F16.

7. downfader

Hey Steve, I think I may have found myself a 90mm f6.8 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I just hope no one else notices it. I had really wanted something wider but the price seems right at £375 (providing its in good nick - I want to be able to get a filter to screw in, I cant on my schneider as its dented)

If all is well and good I shall go for it, then I should be able to do the wide stuff :D

8. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

Dan, £375 seems a bit pricy for the 90mm F6.8. I've been looking for a good one for some time, wait and eventually it will turn up. I just bought one through eBay for £275, should be in near mint condition and will be with me on Friday. When I pick up my SA 65mm F8 from a service in a weeks time then I'll have 2 'new' lenses to play with.

9. downfader

Hi Steve! The 90mm has been and gone, I bought it and it had a couple of problems so I sent it back. It was very good optically, even if it did have a knackered shutter.

So... now I'm just waiting for another lens to pop up for the wide angle stuff. Havent seen one yet - but its only been a week. I still want a Grandagon N if I can get it. The Super Angulon 65mm f8 is one I've also been looking at - I have seen a 5.6 for not much more though - quite a new lens I think? On MXV if anyone wants to enquire. :)

I also want to read up on Sinar and Fuji lenses as I dont know much about them. I've been browsing all the usual sites but nikon, schneider and rodenstock seem to be mentioned much more.

10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Dan,
    I think you'll find that the Sinar "Sinaron" series bears quite a lot of similarity to the Rodenstock "Sironar". Geddit?! I have seen suggestions that you really must be careful about the various APO, N, S and MC designations though, between the two ranges. Probably best to check out the angular field of view, and, if possible, get the serial number for the specific lens before dropping much money on one.
    Hope you find a good wide-angle soon.

11. downfader

You'll laugh at this... The rodenstock I sent back (for refund) has mysteriously returned! I got a chitty from the postie to say that a parcel was to be collected from the depot and when I got there today postie came out with my lens. I thought that was odd as I've been waiting for a lens board from another shop. I signed, went outside, pulled out the tab and theres a note in there that says they've given it a full service! :D :D :D :D They've fixed both the aperture lever and the shutter: looks like a different shutter to be honest, but it works!

So wide angle here I come! :cool: