1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

River Lochy

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

We got a fair bit of rain in Fort William today, well more than usual.
    Combined with a very high tide and lots of flood water the river came up very high. This isn't too far from the front door but far and high enough away not to be a worry.
    Took the dog out for a walk, got to the river and noticed some tasty mist action so went back and got the camera and wellies.

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated, mainly does it need the tree or not?

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

My personal feeling is lose the foreground for a great panorama, isolate the tree for another shot.
    Love the sepia tone to this

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

This is an excellent shot as displayed - Well Done :cool:

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Lovely shot, although I can see some merit in losing the foreground in favour of the pano.

5. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Personally I would lose the tree. The mood of the background doesn't suit the foreground . The background is lovely

6. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

I love the scene, and the photo as it is. It's such a rich scene that I can see this as a panoramic/letterbox crop as suggested, but also with just the tree cut out (so almost square, but keeping the foreground grass), and probably a few other crops too. The key is the lovely light captured, and that shines throughout.

7. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

The tree stays for me. I can see what lfc is saying though about it not matching the background.

Dare I suggest a mono conversion, then everything would match.

8. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I like it. I like the tree. I like the atmosphere. It might be my monitor ( laptop ) but there does seem to be a strangely lit patch in the foreground which I'm not sure is something you put there or not

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Tree in, foreground in, or it becomes a commodity mist shot, but a nice one.

10. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I like it very much just as it is and wouldn't change a single pixel.

11. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

I might prefer it without the tree out but really like it as it is. I don't agree about the foreground not matching the background as it is a natural part of the landscape. The golden leaves in the water add depth to the scene and increase that autumn feel.

12. Jefffers

Jefffers Well-Known Member

It is a lovely image as it is and some of the suggested crops etc would look good too - a very versatle image!!

My only suggestion is a v. slight rotation to the left - to my ancient eyes it seems to slope down very slightly to the right.

You live amongst dramatic scenery and seem to capture it well, so we can all enjoy it!

Geoff

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks pretty damn fine as is but it is one of those shots where there almost too many options to choose from...

Pano style on the background (sans tree) certainly looks good but surprisingly I like the idea of losing most of the sky and going more with the foreground...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  14. Moggimus

Moggimus Well-Known Member

The atmosphere you manage to capture with your shots is quite inspirational. With regard to the foreground, the only thing I might do is dull down the colours as the green seems too bright compared to the backgorund. Not a fan of that crop because the movement in the clouds suits the scene really well.

15. Helander

Thank you guys for the kind comments, suggestions and helpful replies.
    I'll try to deal with some.
    Played with the crops suggested. A square and almost square crop close in on the foreground tree both work for me, as does the extreme pano without the tree. I'm really pleased with those crops, thanks.

Your ancient eyes don't deceive Jeffers, it did need a slight rotate to the left, well spotted.
    I can see a slightly light patch in the foreground Willie, didn't notice it at first. The only explanation (read excuse :D) is I often forget to cover the eye piece on long exposures, as in this case. Even with a note on the filter cover to remind me to cover it I still forget now and then. I've lost a few shots because of this, hence the note which obviously isn't fool proof. So a rethink to prevent this happening again is needed.

Tried a very quick mono before posting the picture and it does have potential when I have more time.

Thanks again for the suggestions and helpful advice again folks.

16. johndow

johndow Well-Known Member

Very pleasing shot as it is.

17. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

really nice photo and I can see weight in the crop Sid has done, but still enjoy your first image as well

sorry what do you mean here, I'm looking at getting into longer exposures and don't want to make silly mistakes

18. Helander

Cover the view finder eye piece to prevent light from leaking into the camera and ruining your exposure. Most cameras come with a little plastic cover that fits over the eye piece. If not black insulating tape will do the same.
    On short exposures, say 20 seconds you may get away without it but when doing exposures that last minutes it definitely becomes an issue.

Hope that helps.

19. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

thanks, hadn't heard of that being a problem - my camera doesn't have that so its something I'll have to consider when doing longer exposures

20. Helander

I think shooting in live view has the same effect as covering the eye piece as LV lifts the mirror. I could be wrong though.