1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

River Brathay and Thirlmere January 19

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by alfbranch, Mar 12, 2020.

1. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Like 2 and 3 but put the HDR in Appraisals for comments on that.

alfbranch likes this.
  3. alfbranch

Thanks Mike
    I presume you would like to pick the bones out of it.

4. RovingMike

Well I can't for the life of me understand why a scene that has virtually no DR issues merits the flattening and averaging effects of HDR, that's all. I'd have had a polariser on it.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd guess that the top left sky was very bright. I agree that the LHS shadow areas looks lacking in contrast.

Alf - how many exposures were blended, and over what range?

The contrails spoil 2 and 3 for me - but that's because I hate contrails! I know it's not appraisal but 2 and 3 illustrate something I find difficult in post-processing skies where the "blue" can be very different shot to shot. I can never decide what adjustment ( hue/saturation/luminance ) to make or even if one is needed because blue can vary so much.

alfbranch likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The curse of contrails! Try doing anything with sky in around Oxfordshire...

I like them all, the third butters the most parsnips, but I suspect that if I had a big landscape-format monitor that the second might overtake it in my affections.

alfbranch likes this.
  7. RovingMike

Which would argue for a grad, but it is nothing you couldn't recover in raw processing.

I have a version ready to drop into Appraisals :)

8. gray1720

Self-isolation going well, then, Mike?

9. RovingMike

Something like that. I'm told I'm high risk, but not sure that's true. Going mad, so will be out in Putney tomorrow to see the Totally Thames exbn. No idea if anything of mine made it. Then heading for Lisbon Tuesday if flights are still going.

10. gray1720

If you do anything daft, make sure we see photos!

11. alfbranch

I was trying to be out and I managed to produce a HDR I was happy enough without too much work.
    I never think to use my polariser I dont why I carry it.

It has no DR issues now!

12. alfbranch

It was 5 shots over I think 5 stops which is what the HDR button is set to on my camera
    I know what you mean about blue skies I reckon the last shot is maybe a touch too warm

13. alfbranch

Thanks Adrian

14. alfbranch

I chose this route as maybe (this was last january) as I either couldn't be bothered with filters or it was just blowing anyway I think the sun had been up quite a while as I had finished my serious location of Blea Tarn.
    I think it was blowing anyway as the sun was just out of shot.
    You won't be needing your shot this is just a snap I processed. I couldn't be bothered with another layer or two in PS after my processing in LR.

15. RovingMike

Well I suspect going might have been daft, so I'm just going to not turn up. I got onto lastminute.com for a cancellation quote for flight/hotel package and they offered me £16.26, but with a £30 "handling fee" so cancelling costs more than no-show.

16. RovingMike

I wouldn't call it that. It can be very nice, even though late for a golden hour shot. Building is where it should be, composition is nice, it is only the HDR that has taken the punch out of it.