1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ring flash

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Oct 23, 2001.

1. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying a Centron ring flash for my Dynax 7.
    Has anyone used these two together and if so how well do they work as a pair?
    Would I be better off saving up for the dedicated Minolta one? (very pricy!)

Ignorance is bliss-I am a very happy bunny

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

It really depends upon your budget and what you intend using the ring flash for but as far as I am aware the minolta dedicated 'macro' flash units are more powerful than the Centon and are designed to be fully dedicated to the minolta range. Minolta recently introduced a new version of the 1200 ring flash & controller and a new 2400 ring flash you can find details of these products at http://www.minoltaeurope.com/magic_frame.shtml?pe/nav2_pe.html?magic_choose.shtml?pe/lensesaccessories_up.html?pe/lensesaccessories_stage.html
    I have the 5600 HSD flashgun for the Dynax 7 and the results I've had using it have been excellent (much better than those using a Cobra 700AF flashgun) personally if I were considering a ring flash I would opt for the power and quality of the Minolta units.

Hope this is of help, do check out the link I gave, the info will give you a better chance to compare against the Centon

Regards

RonM

3. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I had tried to find the info on Minoltas site myself but got fed up looking.
    I went and had a look at the Centon and it did indeed look and feel a bit cheap and nasty though thats not to say it won't do a decent enough job.
    they don't hold the Minolta one in stock so I couldn't compare it, but they did have a canon one and the difference in quality (and price) was obvious, so if that is anything to go by I think I'll take your advice and save up for the Minolta one. I have the 3600 HS "D" flash and I too am very happy with it.

<i>Ignorance is bliss-I am a very happy bunny<i>

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was going to buy one of these, but found a second-hand Canon one instead (not the current model) for the same price. I'm very happy.

Nick CRIPN

5. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I am very jealous :¬[

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

I also remembered seeing on the odd rare occasion a Minolta 1200 Macro flash being advertised in the 'dealers' adverts in AP, the prices as I remember were still not 'cheap' as in the centon price bracket, but nevertheless more affordable than the new Price for a 1200, it may be worth your while checking out the advert pages in AP occasionaly and see if a 1200 is advertised

Just thought I'd pass it on

RonM FRIPN

7. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I did see a ring flash for about £250 from some place Near Southend I think. At the time there was no way I could afford it. I'll keep looking though.