1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Right Angle Spy Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Stephen Rundle, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There's a blast from the past!
    My uncle was the only one I knew who ever used one. Got it to take pics of family members who always shied away from cameras.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I don't know how loosely the recent upskirting law has been drawn but I think there is a fair chance that use of one is illegal now

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I think it would depend on HOW you use it that could make it illegal !
    Go around doing that and you probably would get arrested ( or punched ) .

Likewise , using it in a crowd would need care .
    Two reasons , if anyone spots what it is , it looks suspicious .
    Secondly , while your taking a shot , the lens appears to be pointing direct ahead.
    So while your taking a picture of the tramp sat in a doorway , the father of the little child that the lens appears to be now pointed at comes over and plants one on your chin while calling you a peado !
    In the meantime with all the commotion the tramp moved on and you missed your shot anyway ......
    Something to be aware of , and make sure it's not pointing somewhere inappropriate , which means you can't concentrate on getting the shot you want , at the moment you want it .

Another issue with these lenses , with anything other than telephoto lenses you get severe vignetting .
    So other people on the street block your view , and if they didn't , your far enough away to take a shot without being obvious anyway , if that's your goal .

Having a shorter lens on , set to manual focus , pre-focussed at the required distance works well .
    At the right moment , lift it to your eye and shoot . With no faffing around to focus , it'll be that quick no one takes any notice .
    Or use a wider lens , and shoot from the hip or chest height .
    Being able to judge distance and having a lens with distance markings helps here .

I have one of these devices that I glued into a glass box ( essentially a tall fish tank ) so I could hold it under water to take shots of fish and so on .
    Probably still have it somewhere .

5. AndyTake2

50mm lens from the chest works well.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

While controlling the camera from your phone?

7. AndyTake2

That is certainly a good way to do things, something not possible in the stone-age when I originally tried it.
    I would simply point in roughly the right direction and hit the button.

8. Stephen Rundle

It has arrived, of course a one touch zoom is a pain

IMG_20200625_102916657[1].jpg IMG_20200625_102847454[1].jpg IMG_20200625_102859275[1].jpg

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

My very first post on the AP Forums was about a right angle lens !

Huw, (for those that remember the Dude) replied and then actually sent me an old one that he had sitting around at the back of a cupboard.

Had great fun with it :)

10. Stephen Rundle

It is just a laugh fun thing but we will see, I am NOT a street photo person, get me trackside away from people :), the first problem is as I said the stupid single action tele lens, focus and the thing rotates, so f11/f16 it is

Thanks

Link to your post :)

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Why does one need a lens? Surely a lenshood plus mirror should be sufficient?

12. Stephen Rundle

As I said above ? "It is just a laugh fun thing but we will see"

I wonder if you would stand in the street holding a mirror in front of your camera and try to focus whilst it moves !!!!

And it isn't a lens