1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ricoh Re-org

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by SXH, Jan 21, 2022.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

SRS have a "buy a body receive a free lens or grip" offer at the moment and there are some big discounts on lenses too.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Which suggests that the Wex offers are not as exclusive as they claim...

GeoffR likes this.
  3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The ones I looked at are exactly the same, buy a K1 or K3 and get a free grip, buy a K3 and Grip, get a free 35mm lens.

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Which may attract some people but, as has been said, probably only Pentax users will hear about the offers. Which is part of the problem. Pentax have little or no marketing in this country. Even Pentax UK is in abeyance (is that the word?) and the web-site redirects to Pentax Europe. I think they may have given up on us. Don't know about Europe/The USA. They do apparently have a strong following in Japan (and the rest of Asia?) which might support their new cottage industry manufacturing strategy, assuming they can get away with the associated price hikes.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It looks pretty unlikely that they are planning to launch upgraded models though it could be a way to get more UK customers.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Pentax was around, before, and will outlast Keith Richards :D. They've got enough around to keep
    me happy in my twilight years :)

Cheers,
    Jack

Mark101 and Zou like this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think it highly likely that Pentax will outlast Keith Richards but by how much is another matter.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  8. Done_rundleCams

:D :D ....... good point, Geoff :D

Cheers,
    Jack

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

To be fair, Pentax has kept going a lot longer than many another manufacturer! It seems that the camera industry has much in common with aviation. To make a small fortune from either one must start with a large one.

Mark101, Zou and Done_rundleCams like this.
  10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

My lovely black Pentax Super A is still going strong, well looked after, hardly a mark on it, and bought new in 1988.

11. Done_rundleCams

As are my Pentax MX's from 1986 and 1994, Mark :).

a few snaps from last month using my MX, 35/2.8 and Kentmere 400

Feb6-22-AP-Sun-000008 copy.jpg Feb6-22-Insta-Sun-000014 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

Zou likes this.
  12. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I worked my way through a Spotmatic F, MX, ME,Program A and only the Super A & Program A are left. Boy, I loved that era for cameras.

13. Done_rundleCams

started with a K1000 in July 1985, moved up to a MX and ME Super in 1986 (because they could take winders ;) ... lost the ME Super to death ... moved up to
    a PZ1 -- woooo hoooo, Auto focus -- in 1993, after getting a beating and dosh from police dept :eek:. Had a number of PZ1's up until 2002 when I got a digital
    camera -- Canon G2 -- got my first DSLR (a Pentax) in November 2004 -- IST*Ds, a K200D x 2 in 2008 ... a K-r in 2011 and a K-50 in 2014 and, lastly, a K3 in 2017 :D
    I still have, film wise, my original MX from 1986, PZ1 and a PZ1P from a mate in 2015 and a couple of AsahiFlex IIb's from 1997 and 2021 and, regularly, use the
    PZ1P, MX (from 1995) and the Asahiflex IIb's :D

Cheers,
    Jack

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I started in photography, towards the end of the 1960s, the received wisdom was that Nikon was toughest, Pentax was prettiest and Canon was the least bad compromise...

Nikon F cutout Olympus Sp570 7240008.png

Pentax Spotmatic with Rikenon f1-2 lens Nikon F 1996-20_23.jpg

Camera Canon FTB G2 1020526.JPG

Mark101 and Done_rundleCams like this.
  15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

In old age Nikon have probably proven to be the toughest. I found Pentax M42 cameras tend to suffer shutter taper and Canon seem to suffer their own problems.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Agreed.

That said, the Canon FP / FT series had a very good reputation for reliability, according to some very high volume people like school photographers. They'd wind through twenty or more rolls a day, five days a week, which is more than any of the press photographers I knew, when I worked in newspapers.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's a theme competition this month which is perfect for that second shot. Just sayin'.

18. Done_rundleCams

Thanks for the heads up, @Zou :)
    Cheers,
    Jack

Zou likes this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

20. Done_rundleCams