1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

RFID enables theft of credit card info

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The problem was highlighted some while back but this is quite a revealing clip.

Here.

2. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

As I said to the bank at the time of its launch, chip and PIN is there for the bank's and retailers' benefit and not for the consumer.

Until there is a system where your smart phone is notified in real time every time a transaction takes place on your account, the consumer will be open to the risk of unauthorised spend on their accounts between the time of loss and it's notification to the bank.

3. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Scary.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Anyone in the industry who is shocked by this needs putting up against a wall.
    RFID cards? a security nightmare.
    Line your wallets with metal folks - anyone want to sell faraday cage wallets and purses? you'll make a lot of money!

5. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

6. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

While you're getting the wallets, perhaps you should consider the accompanying headgear?

7. bechisbest

bechisbest Well-Known Member

Good idea Barney, all the technology is in place.

8. Roger_Provins

... well for those with a phone /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

If only they'd built in an On/Off switch like with SD lock switches, or a simple metal contact to complete the circuit that depends on skin contact like with touch-switches.

If it arrives, you heard it here first and they owe me £ for the idea.

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Now don't be daft!! You're talking logically.

I mean - who would put a simple device on like that?
    Far better to wait til the problem appears and then have to replace absolutely everything. :eek:

11. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

Even then this isn't full-proof... I had to get into a "discussion" with a customer at one point as my point of sale card reader timed out on the transaction, what happened was that the bank recieved a notification, but not an authorisation that the funds were going to be taken. This meant they then held the funds until authorisation came through or released them after a little while if it didn't. Customer checks bank account on smart phone, "Well the money's gone, it's now mine" "No sir, the money is being held, we need to put the transaction through again", etc, etc. So until the notification can be sorted by both banks (customer and seller) I don't see this being worked out anytime soon, Murphys law rears it's ugly head...

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You don't need a smart phone; any mobile would do. This would cost a small charge to the phone network but the banks would no doubt negotiate favourable rates appropriate for the large numbers of text messages involved.

13. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

As a sideline, the banks could start their own phone network [Oh sh17, i'm only joking, hope they don't think i'm being serious, and start doing so.....] :eek:

14. Roger_Provins

Understood, but I'm one of those strange folk who don't carry a mobile phone at all ... no need of one since I retired. :)

15. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I know this is going to be a bit of a shock Barney but, there are, believe it or not, some of us who don't wander around plugged into Cyber space.

In fact I am guessing that a 'smart' phone is the same thing as a mobile, if it isn't don't tell me I would rather stay in ignorant bliss.

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Out here, in this far-flung corner of the ex-empire, Marfin-Laiki bank has been providing me with this service for at least three years now, via normal SMS...

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Easy ;) The right paragraph of code in the right place.....but more likely the work would go offshore and a team of Indians would write 20 new programs for a fiver with a few hundred k of management costs /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :D