1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse Lens Macro

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by PMurrell, Jul 18, 2015.

1. PMurrell

PMurrell Well-Known Member

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It's certainly interesting, but I can barely tell that it's a picture of an insect, let alone what kind. Were you using a zoom? The results from a reversed prime lens should be unbelievably better, and an old 50 should cost next to nothing. What camera was it?

Cheers,

R.

3. PMurrell

Camera and lens within settings & description details.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry. I just looked at the picture. But if you want something this impressionistic, what would be the advantage of a dedicated macro? As I said, I like it, but it's a long way from a traditional macro shot.

Cheers,

R.

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Was it just a reversing ring? ie: keeping the reversed lens as close to the mount as possible? If so then it looks like you are using the reversed lens wide open and so with minimal depth of field.

I would practice more as this set-up can yield excellent results. Indeed some of the best macro photography I have seen has been with reversed lenses rather than a macro lens.

I wouldn't regard a dedicated macro lens as a progression, more a different way of doing things and for different subjects/type of image.

Macro is a complicated business and the permutations are many. What is mostly requires is perseverance.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It's abstract!!:eek:

As an insect picture it doesn't cut the mustard in any conventional way. As something else it can do.

7. PMurrell

Yes it is a reverse ring and it was wide open.

Will take time to look into making the most out of it.

Appreciate the feedback and advice.