1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reuse film in Dynax 5 after rewind

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Tyrell, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Tyrell

Tyrell New Member

Hi All

This is my first post on the AP forum.

New camera, Dynax 5, my first 35mm. Not a bad tool by all accounts.

Main problem at the moment is the user.

I had the idea that if I set the custom mode so that the camera did *not* take up the leader on rewind, that if (say) I took 8 pictures and needed to change the film for whatever reason, I could rewind it and replace it again at a later date, winding on to where I left off.

Needless to say, this is what I've done...

Having replaced the partially used film back in the camera, how do I now move the film on to the previous end-point?

Can this actualy be done, or have I wasted a film in exchange for bitter experience?

Either way, I don't mind - We all learn from our mistakes...

Regards
    Mark

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Hi Mark,
    In manual mode, set the camera to the fastest shutter speed, and with the lens cap (or body cap) firmly on simply fire away the number of frames you'd previously exposed - to be on the safe side then fire a couple of blank shots. Then carry on as normal. HTH /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

You work your life away and what do they give?
    You're only killing yourself to live.

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Mark,

Firstly welcome to the AP forum.
    If you have the custom function to set whether the film leader is left out or not, check your user manual, if the function on the 5 is the same as on the 7 then you'll have an additional feature called "select-frame film transport" which permits you to select the frame you wish to advance too and the camera will do it for you. If however the 5 doesnt have this function then follow Tim's advice with the added guide of, set the smallest aperture as well, e.g. f/22 @ 1/4000th of a second.
    Let me know if the 5 has the "select-frame film transport" function

Regards

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM FRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's another nifty feature on the 7. It's certainly a great camaera.

Nick BSRIPN

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nick,

Got to agree with you mate! I keep on thinking I could trade my 600 Si in against another one, but, I'll wait and see if Minolta bring out a Dynax 8 with all the 7's abillities plus some stunning new bits and bobs, then I'll get one of them! (to go with my 7, and hopefully SR-T 303, and maybe an X700).
    I'm hopelessly hooked aren't I?

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

You probably have the worst case of "Minoltaitis" I've ever seen in my long and distinguished (?) medical career. The only known cure is to lock yourself away on a remote Scottish Island with no TV and no internet and to wear a hair shirt and bathe twice daily in the freezing cold waters of a mountain stream. Failing that, you could always buy a decent camera, like a Canon!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

7. Tyrell

Tyrell New Member

Cheers folks.

I thought I'd take a chance with a search engine after I posted, and turned up pretty much the same answer, but relating to a canon with an I/R film sensor.

I've tried it (firing an extra blank after the last used film), and will have to wait until I take the films to be developed before I get to know the answer for sure.

I'm pretty sure that the 5 is missing the index count that was mentioned, so I manually advanced to frame 9 (the counter being previously on 8).

Thanks for the welcome, too...

Regards
    Mark

8. BigWill

Welcome to the nut-house Mark, and keep on firing those blanks! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

9. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

There's no doubt about it Ron, you've got it bad mate! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Unfortunately, the only known cure is to buy a N#@*n, which would put you off for life, but we wouldn't let you do that. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

10. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

Wouldn't want to buy a 'Gas Fire' I'm all electric!

Geoff,

Wouldn't say no to a FM2n or a F5 (just as paperweights mind!)

SOMETHING TO OFFEND DAMN-NEAR EVERYBODY
    7. What do you call an Arkansas farmer with a sheep under each arm? A pimp.

11. BigWill

How dare that orrible Geoff even suggest buying one of those foul Ni*£^'s! Why you could put the patient into camera shock and put him off photography for life! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

12. Canonball

Why, I wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing Will!!

Geoff /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

13. BigWill

I should jolly well think not! Ni@&n indeed! Next thing you know you'll be uttering that dreaded Lei%$ word! Shudder! It just doesn't bear thinking about!

BigWill

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Right I won't have foul language in the Minolta forum, we are a refined and urbane set of individuals I'll have you know!

SOMETHING TO OFFEND DAMN-NEAR EVERYBODY
    2. Where does an Irish family go on vacation. –
    A different bar.

15. BigWill

Oh Pentaxes to you! There, I said a dirty word! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(What a load of old Hassleblads!)Will

16. Canonball

Bolex!

Geoff /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

17. BigWill

...and you too mate! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif He's just jealous cause he's got a little Minox and I haven't! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Minox!)Will