1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring old negatives/storage solutions

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Dazzathedrummer, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Hi,
    I've recently started to convert my negatives to digital. I have a folder of old negs from containing college projects from when I studied photography in the early 90's.
    The negs are stored in paper/plastic wallets and a few of them have stuck to the paper on the reverse side of the negative.

Some of the negatives have marks where they were stuck to the paper - it looks like the paper has stuck to the negative.

I'm just wondering if these can be easily cleaned and if so, whats the best way to clean them?

Also, is there a better way to store negatives or should I just make sure that I swap out the wallets for new ones every so often?
    IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3292.JPG

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd guess they might be separated by running warm water between the sleeve and the negative but let's see what other people think.

For storage use archival negative holders and avoid stacking them with anything heavy on top. Store in a dry place.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I too consider that any removal method is likely to involve water to try to remove the paper. Possibly soaking the whole page, and making certain everything is totally dry before filing again. If there is a section that you have as scrap it might be wise to experiment on that first.

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Water was my first thought as well.

S

5. Yeah - I was thinking warm water and try to gently remove any marks with a soft brush...like a lens brush.

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Easy on the temperature! too warm and the emulsion will go soft, if it were me I would give them a very long soak in soft water with wetting agent (soap mixture) mixed in with the water, if you have any good quality soap such as baby soap then that will do, avoid washing up liquid some brands contain all sorts of nasties....after the long soak then its a good wash again easy on the wash temperature, too hot and the emulsion will go soft too cold and the emulsion might crack! If the negative sleave still wont budge then pick a single neg out and when it comes out of the soak sponge it off, if none of this works then just copy the neg and do the rest in photoshop or any editing suite. You may have a big job on your hands, best of luck with it.

Dazzathedrummer likes this.