1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing my dslr with a compact all in one - but a catch

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by yeleek, Jun 7, 2007.

1. yeleek

yeleek Member

Hi,

Since purchasing my 350d couple of years ago now, i've really got into landscape (i.e. wideangle) photography. I use my camera for little else and the wideangle lens is on most of the time.

I'd like to replace my 350d for a well performing compact all-in-one with say the equivalent of 18mm to 100mm+... Does such a camera exist? I've looked at Panasonic and Leica but can't seem to find one. Anyone aware of a decent camera which has this optical range?

Thanks

2. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Surely if you step back to a compact to do landscape photography you're going to lose quality? :D

3. yeleek

yeleek Member

Was hoping that if i went for a higher end compact the photos would be of similar quality. At the moment i use a tokina 12-24 and love it... Is there not a compact that could match that performance for wide angle? or am i better of sticking with a dslr then?

Thanks

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There's no compact with such a wideangle lens, for a start - and they all (or almost all) have tiny sensors, which leads to lower quality. No way will you get close to what you're using now.

5. yeleek

yeleek Member

OK thanks - that does away with that plan.

6. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Decent and compact aren't words that go well together, and wide angle users tend to be particularly badly served. Usually the best you are likely to do is 28mm (35mm film format equivalent) and 35mm is more common.

7. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I'm seriously thinking of cutting down on gear and buying a compact to replace my dSLR and its battery of lenses. However for landscape and 'real' photography I will still have my Leica M6 and 25/35/50/75 lenses.

The problem with the dSLR is that I simply can't be bothered carrying all that gear with me except on the rare photo shoot opportunity and for most of the time what I need is a rapid acting pocketable camera for pictures of the grandchildren - a successor to my Ricoh GR1 effectively.

8. Dun_Diggin

Dun_Diggin Member

Well, what you could do is what I did before I bought my DSLR.

I have a Fujifilm Finepix (S5000 to be precise) bridge camera. Its lens doesn't go very wide (35mm in 35mm equiv, I think), yet I have some great and highly detailed landscape shots from it.

The trick is to take several photos of different parts of the scene and use Hugin (free from sourceforge.net) to construct it seamlessly into one picture - as you would a panorama. You'll be surprised at how good the results can be - especially if you use a tripod (or better a panorama head) to control camera motion. I should mention that I usually shoot my panoramas hand held and still get very decent results out of Hugin for not too much effort with the software. Okay, a 24 image pano of Florence did require some tinkering to get right, but not too much.

I still use Hugin now that I have a DSLR, and the latest version is even better than before (straight line control points, not just horizontal and vertical ones!!!)

Also - I gather the newer Finepix bridge cameras have wider wide ends on their lenses too.

Hope this helps

9. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

Not out yet but have you had a look at the Sigma DP1, might just be what your looking for.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Still a massive way short of 18mm equivalent, though - at least it has a sensibly sized sensor.

11. Keitht

Keitht Well-Known Member

You don't need to carry 'all that gear'. With my EOS 5D I have 2 lenses 24-85 and 75-300 which between them cover everything I want to shoot.

12. JDCB

JDCB Well-Known Member

Ricoh GR-D is the modern equivalent with a fixed 28mm lens, and the Ricoh GX-100 seems pretty similar but with a zoom (24-something like 100).

James

13. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooooo, don't do it!

The only thing I would suggest, and some may disagree with me would be a very high end film compact, with a fixed wide angle lens, all I can think of is the Fuji Natura and that costs big bucks. Or there is a new compact by Sigma that might be of interest.

14. Cyberdux

Cyberdux Well-Known Member

I've still got a fuji S7000 asnd i brought a x0.7 lense that i screw onto the end of it and that gives me a wider than normal image..

I've also been using my D50 and taking a sucession of 6 photos and use the photomerge option in Photoshop CS3 to stitch them together.. This is quite a good option as it doesn't just stitch the photo together, it calculates which bits in a photo are needed to make the panorama and then cuts them out, sticks them together into a seperate image and blends everything so it looks like it was taken as a single image

Dux