1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for the a99

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by LargeFormat, Dec 2, 2013.

1. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I have been wondering how Sony will position its replacement for the a99 after the a7 and a7r. I suggested in another post that Sony might be restricting the a7 (no phase detection autofocus and no in body image stabilisation) in what, otherwise could be considered the current summit of full frame technology.

Well, it seems Sony isn't simply leaving headroom for its top end but is pushing the envelope with a new 54 Megapixel Full Frame sensor. It has 2460 focusing points and the focusing area covers 78% of the entire sensor. Apparently it is still very expensive to produce so cost might mean that it never sees the light of day. Rumours also speak of each pixel able to have a different shutter speed although I've no idea how this would work. It would, however, provide a vast dynamic range.

Looks as if Sony isn't standing still.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Might not be a replacement. :)

Just a new flagship. 54MP has other issues like the computing power to handle images of that size.

3. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Might just be a 'rumor'. :)

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've long wondered why such a system wasn't feasible. It is an extension of the global shutter (non mechanical) principle. My idea was that each pixel could be set to stop just short of pure white (to a definable level). The processor would just (just!) need to compare the length of exposure for these brighter pixels compared to mid-tone and set a reasonable tone curve to represent the final image. In this scenario the software becomes very important as the highlights would be non-linear, however it would allow a wonderful fine-tuning of the "shoulder" of the tone curve as it reaches highlight. It could work in reverse for shadows as well of course but with digital I've always considered these less of an issue.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are 'ways' of implementing a system as outlined here, and when one looks at the amount of electronic technology applied to things like semi and pro-spec Video cameras, it's just a case of the manufacturing costs and the final retail price of such a 'beast' which is holding back their availability, or maybe they'd prefer to 'milk' their customers in gradual increments rather than just delivering the technology in one big technological jump ... Think how long we have been left waiting for transferring images direct from a camera, when that technology has been available on mobile phones for ages!

6. DUAV

DUAV New Member

competition is going on, sony of course can not stand still

7. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

8. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Ah, but you do get a fitted case, CZ zoom lens and two batteries!

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, if the 2015 General Election campaign can start in October 2013, I suppose April Fools Day can start in February. :)

10. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

The Hasselblad 54MP is medium format. The talk is of there also being a 54MP full frame but the a99 clone shown here is the existing 24MP sensor.

11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ha! Save yourself some money, buy an old 500CM, and you can fit an even bigger sensor on the back of that! Snag is, that sensor is about £35-45,000 .... Mind you, you won't have to worry about upgrading for maybe about a decade, so in the long run, will save you money!!

12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Or shoot some film . £35 - 45,000 pay's for a heck of a lot of film,processing and scanning !