1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replace HDD with SSD

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Bazarchie, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have an all in one pc which is relatively new but has an HDD. It is quite fast but a SSD should make significant improvements. There is only space for one disc drive so I would have to use a 250/500gb SDD for the operating system and programs and an external HDD through USB3 for storage.

Will this work?

Can I clone the new drive rather than reinstalling everything?

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Yes, that is what I do on My laptops. And Yes It Realy makes thing faster. Get a good SSD and check the setup in the bios to take full advantage of the extra speed.

There are programs that can take an image the drive and reimage an SSD, I usually start from scratch and reinstall for personal use. At work I use imaging software.

Bazarchie likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It will speed things up. Whether this will make a huge improvement who knows, it depends on how much the external drive is used. All in ones might not have such easily serviceable hard disks, depends how the screen is fastened to the body. I expect you can restore from a disk image but best to check.

Bazarchie likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Two of my Laptops came with SSD storage. It's faster than HDD but for the stuff I do not so fast that I would pay to swap. On the other hand various pundits think SSD prices will crash around xmas due to a glut of NAND chips so it might be worth waiting for a couple of months.

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would take the financial hit and increase the size of the disc at the same time, I got a 960GB SSD some years back and I consider it to have been worth the cost.

I don't see why not, to either question.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My laptop has an M.2 connector, which allowed me to install an M.2 SSD as well as the existing HDD. I cloned the drive with EaseUS ToDo Backup Free. OS and program files all sit on C, and I have a 1TB HDD for the data.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I got a new PC in April with Windows 10 pre-loaded on a 118 Gb SSD drive, with a 2 Tb HHD for data files.

As well as Windows, I have also installed most of my software on the SSD: Office 2010, Vuescan, ClassisShell (so that Windows 10 looks like Windows 7) and Photoshop Elements 7. All this only uses about a third of the SSD capacity.

The improved running of Vuescan and PE7, compared to my previous Windows 7 PC with a similar speed processor, is dramatic. They now start very quickly and run faster, and the only thing that appears to slow them down is the opening or saving of image files on the HDD which is often 'resting' at the time and has to 'wake up' before reading or writing data.

I've been told that if I had a 'superfast' broadband connection the faster running web browser software might be noticed too, but since I'm on a rural copper cable 8-9 Mbs service the web browser software isn't the limiting factor.

Re. using an external DDD. I use an external USB3 disc drive for regular backups of data files on the HDD (just a simple copy).
    What took about 2.5 hours on my Windows 7 PC with USB2 now takes less than 1 hour with USB3. But I had to get a powered USB3 hub, after finding out that the USB3 sockets on the PC did not provide enough power for the external disc when running at USB3 speeds. With no hub, and using a USB2 cable, the backup worked exactly as on my old PC (2.5 hours), but using a USB3 cable from a USB3 socket and no hub the backup kept stopping with 'folder not found messages'.

Bazarchie likes this.
  8. PeteRob

I always use powered external HDD on my mac. I do have a USB powered HDD that I use for backups on my Windows desktop. Not all USB ports will support devices that need a lot of power.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The ones on a Mac are more likely to provide enough power. Many a Windows PC USB port won't charge an iPad but Macs generally will.

10. PeteRob

With my PC that I use for work I have a speaker phone attached as I use Skype for telephony and Skype for business for conferencing. The speaker phone runs off the USB port. This summer when it was hot (35 C in my office) the PC killed the whole USB power. I think it was overheating. I stripped it down and gave it a good clean. Seems that, whether hardware or software, it can ditch the 5V supply to the ports. No permanent damage has been done.

My mac - I agree it can probably run the time-machine and photo back-up disks off its own power supply but I prefer to not overtax the power supply. The ports in the back of an iMac are a nuisance to get to too.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That is one way to put it!