1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote shutter release timer control for Nikon D3200

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dr_eyehead, Apr 22, 2014.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I figured out, too late to edit my reply, that you meant using bulb setting for long exposures in which case a remote will hold the shutter open for you. The overall exposure is not determined by the remote which is how I read "controls". I also thought you were after time-lapses - shooting a sequence of images at fixed intervals of time apart - not long exposures.

2. dr_eyehead

dr_eyehead Well-Known Member

I want to do both...

So are you saying I need to use the bulb setting on the camera for setting the exposure with the remote?

3. gazza77

gazza77 Well-Known Member

I have one of those remotes for my D3200. It can be used for a variety of purposes. First of these is as a simple remote to fire the shutter based on whatever settings you have the camera on. Secondly is as an intervalometer, where you can set it to take a specific number of images as set intervals, using whatever exposure settings the camera is on, i.e. for time lapse. Thirdly is to control the opening and closing of the shutter when using bulb mode. Rather than manually opening and closing the shutter yourself, you can set the time that you want for the appropriate exposure and the remote will opening and close the shutter accordingly. You have to select this time yourself however, based on your calculations for the required light for your chosen exposure, given your selection of aperture and ISO.

4. dr_eyehead

So I control the exposure in bulb mode then? Are you saying in bulb mode I can open the shutter remotely and hold it open as long as I want?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  5. gazza77

gazza77 Well-Known Member

Yes, subject to the upper maximum of the remote, which is 100 hours according to the Amazon link. You'd programme the remote for the required time and it will open and close the shutter accordingly, as opposed to the manual alternative of standing next to the camera with a stopwatch!

6. dr_eyehead

OK so I just learned what the BULB setting is for.

So having played around with the settings in M, A, S and P it looks as though the only setting on the camera that permits BULB is M, and therefore that's the only setting I can see it is possible to use the remote to control the exposure, which is fine..

The instructions are either misleading/incorrect or I'm not reading them correctly though. I'll post an image of the page so you can see what I mean. It says 'to take photographs at the shutter speed selected with the camera, adjust settings as follows' and then says the exposure mode must be set to either M or S. According to my reckoning the opposite is true, and S also does not permit BULB on my camera because it throws up a message saying 'BULB is not permitted in S mode'.

[​IMG]

7. PeteRob

You are getting there. There is no shutter speed associated with Bulb so it cannot be part of the shutter priority program. Therefore, very literally, to set a speed it must be in M or S mode.

In days when cameras had a dial for shutter speed Bulb was often the last setting on the dial so many people do think of it as a "speed" on the shutter control. There used to be another setting, T for Timed, you pushed the shutter button once to open and once to close - more economical on effort than holding the button down as you do for Bulb. I have a mental picture that the name Bulb comes from using a pneumatic release comprising a rubber bulb and hose - but that could just be because it is Friday.

8. dr_eyehead

Why does it says that bulb is not permitted in S mode then?

See here------>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Because the camera is not clever enough to know how long you are going to hold the shutter open in Bulb, so thus will not have a clue what aperture to set to expose correctly.

10. dr_eyehead

Eh?

Both intuition and logic are saying to me that the concept of bulb is redundant within the parameters of A, S and P anyway. I think.

So basically use M, unless I don't know what I am doing in which case use any of the other features?

M is all I need though right?

Tell me I only need M, please.

11. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

You only need M

12. dr_eyehead

*katching*

That's the sound of a penny dropping.

This is why I hate dumb down firmware, but I suppose that's what I'm paying for.

No bulb on any of the auto-features. Instructions need work, but then as long as I got the basics of the thing I can ask the internet about anything I don't quite understand.

now I must look out my old fiundamentals of optics textbook from my physics days, back in the day when my brain worked better. Imma get me some Michelson interferometers bitches

13. PeteRob

You only need M, please.

A,S, P + camera metering make life easier but no-one needs them.

14. dr_eyehead

They have their uses, for example if I was to do a time lapse of a sunset/sunrise the auto function would come in handy for adjusting the settings of the camera to accomodate the change in light. This wouldn't be possible using the remote.

15. dr_eyehead

I've only gone and lost the little adaptor that came with this thing. Anyone know where the best place to get a new one is?

16. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Same place you bought the original?

17. dr_eyehead

Oh! I never thought of that.

Amazon. Already enquired.