1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote shutter help for a total newbie please

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Benbenben123, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Benbenben123

Benbenben123 New Member

Good evening,

I have recently brought my self a Nikon d60

I have brought a rollei remote shutter but can’t seem to connect it to my camera with the cables that were supplied.

I was hoping that someone could please advise me on what cable I need to connect the remote to the camera?

many thanks
    Ben

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Nikon D60 doesn’t have a remote terminal so you cannot connect a wired remote control to the camera. There is however a way to achieve a degree of remote control. The Nikon ML3 infrared remote control can be used from in front of the camera (the receiver is in the grip below the shutter button).

You may think that Nikon Camera Control Pro software on a computer via the USB port will work but the more recent versions do NOT support the D60. Page 156 of your manual says that the software can be used with the D60 but this applies only to an earlier version of Camera Control Pro 2 the current version cannot be used.

Sorry but your Rollei remote shutter cannot be used with your camera.

4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The remote that will work with the D60 is the ML-L3, not to be confused with the ML-3 which is much more expensive and will not fit.

Using the shutter delay mode could be an option if you want to get into the photo yourself.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Welcome Ben,
    The above information is good. If your camera did not come with manual then you might find the free pdf file from Nikon support useful.
    It is downloadable from https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/219/D60.html .
    If you want some free software for dealing with raw files and editing images to jpeg then I would suggest Nikon Studio which is also available from the above link. It is especially good for initially processing raw files to 16bit Tiff even if you using something else for more complicated editing.
    Also there is the Nikon codec which allows Windows file explorer to display thumbnail images or Microsoft photos display full images.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Quite right, in my defence it was 22:26 at night.

DaveM399 likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having tried Nikon's new "Studio" software I would recommend the earlier View NX-i and Capture NX-D instead but as both options are still available Ben can make up his own mind.

8. Benbenben123

Benbenben123 New Member

Many thanks All for this amazing help, never been on such a helpfull and knowledgeable forum before!

what I need the camera for is to take self takes of me with gosh once I have caught them!

ideally I will have the camera just taking shot after shot with a gap on between each shot.
    Is this something that can be done with this camera and would I find this remote (one mentioned above) helpful for this task?

Best wishes
    Ben

9. PeteRob

The device that does this is an intervalometer. Whether there is one for the D60 I don’t know.

Edit. I think they also function as the remote release as taking 1 shot is basically the first in a series of length 1.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The only intervalometer that I know of from Nikon is wired and uses a 10 pin connector, which your camera does not have, the same applies to third party devices, they use a connector that you don't have.

If you really need the facilities you mention your best bet might be to return the D60 and buy a D200 which has the 10 pin socket unfortunately it uses CF cards but is otherwise of a similar specification to the D60. MPB have D200 bodies for between £50 and £94 which is probably little different from what you paid for your D60. The other alternative would be a D300 or D300s. The Rollei remote might even have a cable to work with the 10 pin socket.

Once you have a camera with the 10 pin socket there are many accessories that you can use for remote control and intervalometer functions.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you are catching fish, not "gosh". I've always used the timer for my trophy shots. If you're fishing at a static peg you can set up an photo area and mark it with bank sticks, although you soon get used to where you need to be. 10 seconds is an eternity to pick up the fish and pose.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I suspect a mistype and the anti-carrot kicking in.

14. PeteRob

Good “catch” Martin - I hadn’t made the connection as to what “gosh” might be.

15. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

My first digital camera was the Nikon D90, contemporary with the D60. I bought an ML-L3 infrared remote control, primarily so that I could trigger the shutter without shaking the camera when it was on a tripod. I found it frustrating that the infra-red sensor was on the front of the camera; not intuitive when using a tripod, and I’d also hoped I could, for instance, get photos of birds on our feeder without being there to frighten them, by setting the camera on a tripod, and triggering it from indoors. But it operated the camera without problems, and the front sensor would suit your needs.

(I think some later Nikon consumer cameras had sensors on both back and front, which would be far better. But a few years later I moved on to a D800, and was again frustrated because it doesn’t have an infra-red sensor, so I had to start again with remote controllers.)

Chris