1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote cord + cancer warning = yikes

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by bilka, May 31, 2005.

1. bilka

bilka Active Member

Hello,

I've just bought the RC1000S, and when I had a look at the instructions, it mentioned that the cord contains lead and that this is known to cause cancer. It then goes on to say that you should wash your hands after use. Surely this isn't good?!

2. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single electronic device that doesn't have some lead in it. Soldered joints just wouldn't be that same without it. [​IMG]

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried if I was going to be using for underwater work.....

Graeme

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Lead causes cancer? That's a new one on me............

Most of the problems with lead have always been related to it's degenerative effects on the brain (lead poisoning) related to it's persistence within the body.

There are a number of lead compounds (eg the organo-lead additives in fuel) which are known to have carcinogenic tendencies but I have never heard of lead metal or alloy having similar properties.

I suspect it's one of those get out clauses which today's litigatious society tends to throw up. These seem often based on a fear of the possibility of a problem than an identified one.

5. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Well I managed to find my instructions for my RC1000 S/L remote cable and it doesn't mention anything about lead and I only bought it new 4/5 years ago so that is interesting?

6. Dave_F

Dave_F New Member

I don,t thnk that you will be in contact with any lead as the cable is plastic coated and the switch is in cased with plastic so don't worry about it

7. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

Sounds to me like a typical OTT notice to protect them against themselves in the US market.

Just like the many notices you see all over US built cars.

The best one being, the one etched onto the side mirrors "The object in the mirror is closer than it appears".

Makes me wonder, do you have to take a driving test in the US, or do they come free in the Corn Flakes. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif