1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Control

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Phil_N_Flash, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Phil_N_Flash

Phil_N_Flash Well-Known Member

I've had a Pentax compatible remote control for some years now (my wife invariably grimaces at the precise moment the delayed action opens the shutter - always my fault!). It used to work perfectly with a K100 but now both that and the K50 steadfastly ignore it. I've tested the battery and the needle zooms across and almost breaks against the peg.

Do they have only a limited life-span or should I stump up the extra for an authentic "Pentax" one or are they all from the same original source as I strongly suspect?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Is this a wired or wireless remote control, if wireless is it infra-red or radio?

3. Phil_N_Flash

Phil_N_Flash Well-Known Member

It's wireless - and i/r I think.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The IR diode could have failed or there could be an open circuit between the battery and circuit board.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

To check it's putting out a 'signal' point the remote at the lens of a compact camera if you have one - if the remote is working at all you should see a little light appear on the screen for a while. Possibly a DSLR in live-view will show the same effect. That will tell you if the LED has failed or you have an open circuit problem.

Just tried it with my Lumix TZ100 and a couple of TV remotes. Still seems to work.