1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflection.

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Pete Bony, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I've been in a bit of a rut lately and couldn't decide on what to work on with my photography. Out walking my dog this evening I found a small pigeon feather and decided to use it to have a go at stacking. Some might see this as a very boring subject but I hope that the way I have done it (Reflected off a dark smoked glass surface) does it justice and was a technical enough subject for me to work on using photo stacking in PS.
    The photos for stacking were taken (15 in all) with my Canon 550D fitted with a 21mm extension tube and my Canon 28-80 lens. The lighting was from my 27 LED Video light.
    As such I would welcome any pointers to help towards improvement in the future.
    Stacked White Feather copy.jpg

Dan S, El_Sid, AndyTake2 and 2 others like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I like it. Hard to tell if we've lost some detail in the highlights, but I feel like there should be just a touch more info on the far left side. There's also a white splodge top left which I can't ignore. Otherwise, I do like the ambiguity about the source of the reflection.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like that. The stacking has worked well. Probably it is deliberate to have the reflection different to the original. It adds interest but I think it would have to tell some more of a story, it just looks odd to me.

Edit: ha Tony saw the same thing!

4. Pete Bony

Thanks guys. I wasn't really looking for any "story" to be attached to it. All I was trying to do was to give me something to work on while in my "photographic rut" and to try a bit of stacking.

5. PeteRob

That (the stacking) worked very well. When you set something up like this then every detail has to be deliberate so the big question - why is the reflection so different to the original? - begs a reason.

I'm glad you found an outlet. I can't ever invent a reason to take a picture. Hope you get better soon.

6. Pete Bony

I would like to say that the reflection was different for a specific reason, maybe to give it more of e 3D effect (Or something like that) but in honetsy it wasn't planned, it just happened that way!
    However all of the points raised will give me more things to think about when I take on another "project" - Which I hope will be quite soon.

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I assume folk are meaning the tone when saying the reflection is different. If that's the case then it's a simple answer. Reflections are always always darker in tone than the subject. In this case being on dark smoked glass has dulled the reflection even more. It's the laws of physics in action !!!!

MickLL

8. PeteRob

No. Nothing to do with the tone.

9. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Would you be kind enough to explain please (I see that the reflection is the underside of the feather obviously)

MickLL

10. PeteRob

From the angle taken, the reflection shows a parting in the feather that is almost completely obscured in the original and the top left hand edge of the reflection is a smooth curve whilst the original shows separation of the feather. Two different views of the same thing. Happens it was accidental but one could think of constructing something more different as an exercise.

The tonal difference is, as you say, emphasised by the use of smoked glass and is a nice touch in its own right.

11. Pete Bony

I understand now what you are saying. I should maybe have thought of gently passing my fingers up the feather to get it more symetrical before starting the shots. Yet even more little things for me to think about for my next try, they all add up to help with improvement so thanks!

12. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

It's just the laws of physics in action again. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact it's given me an idea!

I've been asked to photograph some artifacts (pure record stuff) and maybe I can use the reflection idea to show different faces of the artifact at the same time.

MickLL