1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Recycling:a backward step.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Mar 7, 2017.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Swansea City Council,in its wisdom ,has decided that plastic bags and plastic film will no longer be accepted for recycling!!
    They`ve sent leaflets to every household outlining their reasoning.

Quote:It`s becoming increasingly difficult to find outlets to recycle plastic(film and bags)

Quote: Put film or plastic bags into black bags(land fill) NOT pink bags(the nominated colour for plastic)If the plastic doesn`t hold its shape then bin it.

For me and many others bags etc account for about 50% of plastic.Most things today have plastic wrappings.

To me this is a giant backward step.

Feel free to comment.

peterba and Zou like this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The problem is if no-one can recycle the waste article (at a reasonable cost) then what are the Council to do? Cheapest option is to landfill but it's not the best option. Generally levels and standards of recycling are so wide across the country. I personally feel there should be a national standard across the board. Everyone should know exactly what to do no matter where you are in the country.

peterba and daft_biker like this.
  3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Not much that's not recycled in South Holland Lincs. We have two collections a week here, both collected in plastic bags. One day in all the recycling in a clear bag, including plastic bags, plansic film, hard plastic, tines, bottles - all in the same bag. Next day comes the household landfill collection, made in a black bag. So much cleaner, faster and efficient than all those horrible dirty eyesore wheelie bins

peterba and Catriona like this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I still remember fondly Sainsbury's paper carrier bags.

I do despair of the huge amounts of plastic still used in supermarkets. Milk would be better in glass or cartons. Greaseproof wrapping for cheeses would certainly be preferable as would meat and fish similarly wrapped. Paper only bags for fruit and vegetables.

Oh I wish I had your collection cycle Mark! Mine is every four weeks.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Our esteemed (!) chancellor could sort out the recycling problem by putting a tax on all packaging that isn't recycled by the retailer. Then the retailer could put a substantial deposit on the packaging (refundable of course on return) and the packaging would soon be redesigned as a reusable item.

peterba, steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  6. daveben

daveben Well-Known Member

For years, our brown bin has been for "organic waste" - food leftovers and gardening residue. It has now been changed to garden residue only. I've yet to receive a reply as to what to do with the uneaten fruit and veg which I've grown in the garden - is it food (non-recyclable) or garden residue (recyclable)?

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Our local council has been putting the squeeze on waste collection of all types and to say it's confusing the locals is the understatement of the century. Not least because having issued instructions as to what to do, they then issued a list of exceptions, including periods that included public holidays, before completely failing to adhere to their own guidelines. I believe we now have a food waste collection every week on Wednesday, a landfill collection every three weeks on a Thursday, a recycling collection every fortnight on a Thursday and a glass collection every four weeks on a day of the week that doesn't seem to be pinned down.

Frankly I think the issue shouldn't be that councils have to find cheaper ways, or just ways, of recycling all the packaging. We should be creating far less uncompostable packaging in the first place. If we can make bags to collect food scraps which decompose, we can wrap food in something similar, surely? Or just go back to not wrapping food so much. It infuriates me to see shrink wrapped brocolli, peppers and cucumber. Absolutely not necessary.

Trannifan, peterba, spinno and 2 others like this.
  8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

And why does my pizza come wrapped in clingfilm, perched on a polystyrene disc, all neatly encased in a cardboard box. Why in Gods name are we still producing the evil that is polystyrene? :mad: Rant off!

9. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I hate the way so many hardware items are in card and/or hard plastic with coloured labelling, the packaging is usually 2 or 3 times larger than necessary for the contents, so they end up needing way more transport space, also often takes ages to open. I remember being able to buy a card box of 100 screws and they filled the box, now in a package taking a similar space I'd be lucky to get a dozen, plus it would take 3 times as long to get the contents out of the packaging. The only people to gain by this are the purveyors of the packaging and the fact that more transport space is needed to move the same number of screws.

The only argument I can see in favour of not selling loose nails, screws, hinges etc is the need for the shopkeeper/server to weigh or count out the required amount, there is one ironmongers shop I know of which still sells some loose items, been in business for 180 years - but it's a few miles away.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

We have an old style irongmongers in Broadstairs, said to be the inspiration for the four candles sketch by the two Ronnies.

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The brown bin in my house consists of :
    1] me
    2] the dogs
    3] the compost heap.

I've never yet had to send any edible matter to the council

S

peterba likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The most magical shop in the world. If you want it, they have it. 3/8ths Gripley? No problem.

They would even sell a single nail, although knowing the lads there, they would give it to you.

S

Attached Files:

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There seems little rhyme or reason in terms of what is accepted for recycling and what is not. Here they accept plastic bottles, but no other plastic, even the same types, that is not a bottle.

peterba likes this.
  14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Our esteemed chancellor could solve many problems with the help of a bottle of whisky, a revolver and one bullet.

Cheers,

R.

beatnik69, LesleySM, peterba and 3 others like this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

But who would it be next? I've given up hoping for sensible solutions.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree. However, I fear that the major flaw in your argument is that - if we have to wait until we've got an esteemed chancellor - then your proposal is unlikely to happen any time soon. Or maybe, ever...! :rolleyes: ;)

Trannifan likes this.
  17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, likewise (except that we don't have dogs :)).

We throw out virtually nothing in food waste. Vegetable peelings etc. all go to the compost heap, while our brown bin hardly ever takes anything other than garden cuttings.

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Can obviously be easily recycled, Dave, but wonder if they asked themselves about the energy/pollution in making & printing & distributing the leaflet? Cheers, Oly

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

They haven't found an african country willing to take the stuff off their hands!?

In Germany, most plastic bottles, glass bottles and aluminium drinks cans have a deposit on them so that the supermarkets are duty bound to take them back -they've got machines to do this- and refund the deposit. This is a source of income for the down and outs. The rest of the recycling system seems to work quite well despite persistant rumours about recyclable materials ending up in the landfill. Then again, Germany is possibly better at using incinerators to supply heating to urban areas.

Lynn

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The trouble with recycling is that there is not always a commercially viable recycler in the area. My local council now charges extra for garden and food waste because way to high a proportion of grass clippings was collected to make a quality compost. A lot of recyclables end up in landfill as well, because a bulk load easily gets contaminated when you rely on Joe Public to sort for you. Again , my local council has a collection for high value recyclables like glass and metal that hand sorts as it collects.

In our house recycling bins consist of glass, metal, plastic bottles and hard plastic food containers. Food waste like veg peelings and anything small and combustible ends up on the Rayburn.