1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for Delta 400?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Wilko, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Has anyone any advice on a good fine grain developer for Delta 400? either at ISO400 or pushed 1 stop. I tried TMax and it's Ok but seems a bit grainy.

Wilko

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well that's me out - that's my favourite dev for Delta 400.

Nick BSRIPN

3. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm doing something right then. I just wondered if Microphen was any better.

Wilko

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Graham, I'm probably the wrong person to answer. I LIKE grain, and tend to use HP5 in Rodinal as my main B&W combination, because although there's a fair bit of grain it's beautifully controlled. Delta 400 in TMax seems pretty grain-free in comparison (and certainly compared to my other fave, Delta 3200 in TMax). So best of luck!

Nick BSRIPN

5. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

i like grain too, to me thats the point of b/w.grainy atmospheric images.Its why i prefer HP5 over FP4

[​IMG] IRIPN

6. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll buy another bottle of TMax then!

Wilko

7. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

HP5 pushed to 1600 or 3200 developed in TMax is fairly grainy, but acceptable. I'm talking about A4 sized prints. I like grain too, but just now and again I can't move my rocking chair back far enough!

Wilko

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Graham,

Personally I'd recommend Ilford DD-X or ID 11 for fine grain development times and data available in the Massive Dev Chart
    Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

9. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Perceptol 1:2 OR 1:3

10. Larry Shone

can you dev Delta in ID11? cos thats what they use at the college.

[​IMG] IRIPN

11. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Yes you can

1 0 9.5 minutes @ 20 deg C
    1 1 14 minutes @ 24 deg C

various other combinations on the inside of the box. I've only ever used TMax and the results with that are perfectly OK - certainly up to A4

Wilko

12. Larry Shone

thanks for that Wilko, but can you explain this a bit:
    1 0 9.5 minutes @ 20 deg C

is that 9.5 minutes at 20ÂșC with 1 1 solution?

[​IMG] IRIPN

13. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Larry

What Wilko means is 9 and a half minutes in ID 11 stock solution (i.e. no additional Dilution with water) personally I'd recommend the 1 &#43 1 for 14 minutes (i.e. one part stock solution diluted with one part water) for best results.
    Hope this helps.

14. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

I did type in the plus sign, ( ) but for some reason it didn't appear in the post

Wilko

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Wilko,

It's one of these things where you need to use 'code' to get a &#43 sign you need to type in & # 4 3 (without the spaces).

16. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I've used quite a bit of (new) Delta 400 and tried it out with ID-11 1 &#43 1 and was pleased enough with the results never to bother trying anything else.

Clive

[​IMG]

17. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Clive,

I was giving Larry my experience for my past usage of Delta 400 (not tried the new stuff) I sort of went off delta and my B&W ISO 400 film of choice is Fuji's Neopan 400 and if the new ISO 100 Across is as good as reports say it is (mind you that will depend, if film stockists can get some supplies) and I can get a chance to test it, then for most of what I do Fuji may just become my film of choice Full Stop.

18. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I really rate the new Delta 400, Ron. But try (others) as I may, I still love HP5 best!

[​IMG]

19. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Well I've not HP5'd or FP4'd but I've a roll of each and intend to give them a try out at some point and see if they can add to the 'armoury' that I have already/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

20. Larry Shone

what about if i push it to 1600?

[​IMG] IRIPN