1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation Tripod

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Oleg2016, Sep 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Oleg2016

Oleg2016 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Think of all the things you could buy Manfrotto XPRo4 or 3 Legged Thing Punks Travis tripods?
    Brand - It would mean a lot and for you?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't know. The last time I bought a tripod I tried it out in the shop to see how it easy it was to put up ( how tight the locks were, could I reach the furthest bit), and how sturdy it was with the kit I wanted to use and how easily adjusted the head was. At that time (12 yrs ago) I bought a Manfrotto ball head and some Velbon Sherpa Pro Carbon Fibre legs. I also have an older aluminium Manfrotto 055 which is not so much heavier than the Velbon but much colder to carry. If you will use it outdoors get one that has padded covers for the top leg section.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I used to buy tripods quite often (including models reckoned to be "the best"), until I spotted a new, but heavily discounted, carbon fibre bottom of the range, Manfrotto. I was hooked, and very soon I bought a proper carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod, and that's stopped me buying tripods, or even thinking about them for the last few years.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  4. Oleg2016

Thanks! Happy New Year :):):)

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

The newer 190 and 055 series Manfrottos have rubber grips on two of the legs these days.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  6. Oleg2016

Thanks! Happy New Year :);)

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

And Happy New Year to you Oleg.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  8. rd6743

rd6743 Well-Known Member

When I didn't know there was such differences in performance, I had an aluminium manfrotto befree but then realised I did need something bigger, sturdier etc. Friend of mine was letting me borrow his aluminium manfrotto 055, I was so impressed with it when I got it home and putting it up in the front room that I decided to buy one. Went online and speedgraphic had the carbon fibre one going cheap and manfrotto were offering a free head.

I'd recommend it, I use it for hiking up mountains for landscape shots, done bits of long exposure and also used it with a manfrotto 393 gimbal head with a long lens for wildlife photographs.

Things I don't like is when the locking lever pinches you, I'd like to change the rubber feet for spikes for extra stability and possibly a leveling base.

I like that it's lighter than aluminum, strong and stable. If take the head off and carry that inside my bag, the tripod straps onto side of the bag and doesn't feel like it's pulling away. (I once had a fulll bag and the tripod was strapped to the front of the bag with the head and it felt off balancing. Also, when not pinching myself with the locking levers, they deploy and collapse down fast and secure. Can be tightened too if needed.

Oleg2016 likes this.
  9. Oleg2016

Thanks! Happy New Year :):);)

10. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi, I’v posted this comment before, but still valid. I am on my 2nd tripod in 40 years, the latest a carbon fibre manfrodo 190 for the last 12 years. Moral - buy the best you can afford and it will be the only one you will need to own.

Learning and Oleg2016 like this.
  11. Oleg2016

Thank you for the information. :) I will think of Manfrotto !

12. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Depends if size and weight are an issue... I have a 190 and it is indeed a great tripod, however I use a Velbon travel tripod more, as it folds down really compact (fits in the bottom of my main camera bag) and is comparatively light but sturdy.... I wish it had a hook to hang the bag for extra stability, but that can be arranged by jury-rigging a decorator's S-hook and a small elastic strap

Oleg2016 likes this.
  13. Oleg2016

Thanks! :) I'll look into it Velbon travel ! ;) you mean Velbon Ultrek UT-53Q ?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yes, that looks similar or identical to the one I got (the model number may be different now as I have had mine about 5 years and I know I paid under £100 for it). It's not what I set out to buy but the assistant in the camera shop I visited demonstrated the Velbon one to me against the one I was going to get (I forget which make/model that was) and I was sufficiently impressed to buy it on the spot.

Oleg2016 likes this.