1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Gibson67, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Well-Known Member

haven't shot film since the 80’s and want to get back into shooting it. Just wondering could a fellow member recommend me what’s a good roll these days?

I’d love a colour film that gives me a 70s look, not really into anything too vibrant. Also a recommendation for B&W would be too.

Cheers in advance all

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Fomapan 100 will give a nice old-fashioned look, not too much contrast, Kentmere similar but dearer, Rollei R80s more contrasty, sharp, can be used with an IR filter.

Plus Ilford of course.

S

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You'll find your choice severely limited! I've been struggling to remember where I used to buy my roll-film in ten packs from. Last time I looked most available colour C41 was Kodak or Fuji. For B&W Ilford films are still common (FP4, HP5)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

For myself I'd stick with Ilford's FP4. It costs a few shillings more but it does the job. Here's a Rolleiflex sample...

RollieflexE2_08170107.jpg

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Fujifilm 200/400 for colour and dare I say Ilford XP2 for b/w- I am assuming you won't be developing them yourself

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm led to believe that Rolleichrome 200 has a rather retro look.

7. Gibson67

Gibson67 Well-Known Member

Many thanks guys for your advice and recommendations. Spinno, you are correct I won’t be developing myself, however it’s certainly something I may consider in the future.

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

First thought was Fuji Reala, but it doesn't seem to be available any more which is a shame. FP4 is nice for B&W, and Kodak Tri X. If you have access to a film scanner monochrome is easy to develop with just a developing tank and the chemicals. I always had dust issues in the darkroom but these are easily solved with scanned film.

9. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Kodak Colourplus gives a 70s retro vibe.

As for B&W there is a lot to choose from, Eastman Double X is pretty good but can be expensive, Kentmere 100 or 400, Any of the Ilford B&W, Kodak Tri X and TMAX.

The best way is to buy different emulsions until you find one you like, my personal favourites are Double X, Kentmere 400 and Kodak 2238