1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The platform itself is a very effective vibration sink. There's very little traffic on the road I'm on, and the coast road is further away. I've never seen vibration from the small platform that has the 130 f/7 instrument, even when I walk on it during an imaging run.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Zou likes this.
  3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just remembered a hilarious event about 40 years ago involving a very large-bottomed* woman I knew; She was pushing someone in a wheelchair when all of a sudden, she gasped loudly ...

"Oh my God! It's gone!"
    "What?"
    "The elastic!"

She was wearing a knee-length skirt and from behind her, someone started giggling, because she was wearing 'Bloomers' or 'Passion Killers' which had inverted and fallen down so that the waist could be seen below her skirt! Her predicament was all the more 'amusing' because she couldn't grab hold of them in time due to pushing someone in a wheelchair!

* By very large, I mean her backside was even bigger than that of the woman Benny Hill was 'assisting' into a coach in 'The Italian Job.'

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

And you have just given me the giggles as it reminds me of a group of friends and Dan and me quoted the line about "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Only to have Chaz state with utter confidence "I know that line, it's from Reservoir Dogs!"

(And maybe I will dig the DVD of the "Italian Job" out)...

Or maybe not but DVD players at the moment go under the thread about grinding gears

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

IMG_2617.JPG
    Fences painted, lawns mowed, car washed........ahhhhh.

Catriona likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Apropos a previous post in which I was pleased that I had resurrected my photo printer. I have now persuaded my ink supplier to do a load of profiles for me - f.o.c!!

Soon be back in business.

MickLL

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Tis the day before my long-awaited payday okay I have so many bills to pay next month will once again be a struggle (I start to get straighter in March and thereafter debts get paid off en masse!) and I have somehow made it through the month!

RovingMike and John Farrell like this.
  8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Our all-singing, all-dancing, high tech, massively complicated, steam iron died yesterday. The steam trigger snapped. Gave me the excuse to nip down to Argos and pick up a £29 Russell Hobbs replacement. Simple temp dial, simple squirter, ceramic sole plate. What else do you need?

Derek W, MJB and Catriona like this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A man after my own heart. I've never understood why basic domestic appliances need the capability of putting a man on the moon.

daft_biker and Derek W like this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just someone else to use it... :)

Zou, RovingMike and MJB like this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The romance of the cup...or the Taming by the Shrews.

RogerMac likes this.
  12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Well said.

You may remember my 'breadmaker thread' some time ago. The machine I mended finally gave up the ghost and I needed another. Which magazine 'best buy' was an expensive thing with loads of 'features' . I decided that I didn't want and would never use those features and so bought one at a little less than half the price of the best buy. It's been used about four times a week ever since. In fact possibly more because I use it twice some days to make different breads. It does all I want and does it well and there's no chance of a moon landing!!

MickLL

RovingMike likes this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Got myself a nice pullover type thingy* in Debenhams' sale. Ticket said marked down to £22, at the till it came up as £16. :)

Mind you according to Debenhams' web-site, it's 'Machine washable, but 'Not suitable for tumble drying'. That's going to confuse the launderette!

A Maine Shawl-neck sweater.

14. RovingMike

Just heard my step-daughter got the senior managerial job in NHS clinical research that she was interviewed for today. She spent all yesterday with stuff spread all over our dining room table preparing for it. She goes at these things like a military exercise. Wish her formula would rub off on the rest of my tribe, but delighted for her.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Somewhat less. A traditional smoothing iron is magnetic, conductive, and works on a ceramic hob.
    Please note the Oxford comma in that sentence.
    Another edit. I have not used an iron since I retired 16 years ago. I have even gone to several funerals and one wedding in an unironed shirt.
    I guess that it is about 62 years since I first used an iron. I had just joined the CCF and before my mum tried to iron and press various bits of uniform Dad insisted on teaching me how to do it properly. He also taught me to 'do' webbing with blanco and shine boots with a hot spoon, polish, and spit.
    It became rapidly clear who's dads had really been in the war and who's dads had been in protected occupations. I remember all that with great gratitude.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Good. That's the way to do it. Perhaps she deserves it and the rest of the tribe does not. It sounds like justice to me. Please pass on my comment to the rest of the tribe!

17. RovingMike

Sadly you are quite correct. That was my point.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As old Will Shakespeare put it "Use every man according to his desert and who should 'scape whipping?"

19. RovingMike

And to polish buttons with one of those brass protector things with a slot down it? Remember all that from my Dad's RAF days and my ATC.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Congrats to her. Nice to hear that her effort payed off.

It seems the norm in public organizations to tell the successful applicant on the same day as the interview. We used to do it at the college when I was there. Being truthful though I always felt a bit uncomfortable doing that. I know it's a personal foible but I always would prefer to 'sleep on it' - only 24 hours or so. I felt that the applicant with lots of bling might not always be better than the less flashy one. (To be taken metaphorically not literally). I felt that rushing to give an answer same day was sometimes disadvantageous to some candidates.

MickLL