1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The air fares would kill that idea.....

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I can eat meat with an easy conscience. That's a good reason to be cheerful.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51210622
    I sympathise with farmers of meat. However for those who regard meat as an essential part of our diet, the target is good. So many young people are going totally vegan that as a nation the target will be easily achieved while many of us consume meat with gay abandon. Gay abandon in the traditional meaning.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Wow! Well done! What a lovely young lady you are too. :)

daft_biker and spinno like this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

always in touch with his feminine side:rolleyes:

daft_biker likes this.
  6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Our granddaughter suggested rainbow colours, this morning.

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

NZ has a thriving tourist industry. Would make a change from sheep and geysers;)

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

This made me chuckle ... I've just received an advert from TripAdvisor about celebrating the Chinese New Year ... Needless to say (or thankfully) it lists the Chinese restaurants in my area, rather than flights to China, with possibly the additional delight of also returning with a dose of the Coronavirus!

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The contractors have built the foundation platform for the observatory, they reckon there's 8 1/2 tonnes of "stuff" in there, concrete foundation, broken up rubble (Left over stone and blocks), scalpings whacked down, then a layer of concrete to bed the pier into.

IMG_20200124_102120.jpg
    The paving slabs are for a path around the whole base.

SqueamishOssifrage and Zou like this.
  10. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Looks good! What sort of roof are you going for?
    A dome, or something which slides On and Off? Back in 2006-2008, I was briefly familiar with the observatory at the OU, and that had a circular rotating dome roof. It was more difficult to adjust than I expected, but we could normally call on assistance...

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Puts my diy raised beds to shame! ;)

Gezza likes this.
  12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I'll be going for a basic roll-off roof as it's easier and cheaper to automate than a dome. I did consider a dome at the start, but the projected costs became a bit frightening.

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I pity the poor sod buying this house, not knowing what this concrete was for, then trying to remove it!

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Having done my back in just digging out a washing line pole base, I'm damned if I'm buying off Dave!

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It might be just big enough for a small greenhouse.

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Given the dark-sky location, it may sell as a going concern with an obsy thrown in.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Found a fiver I didn't know I had, which as payday is not until Monday is much appreciated

Found my smoke alarm works, got a new hotplate and the instructions said to run it for 5 minutes with nothing on it to burn off the protective coating, well it did and that set the smoke alarm off

Half day at work as it was time for my annual electricity safety check and the guy turned up at 2.15 rather than me sitting around waiting on him to turn up until 5

And I have Monday off!

And a job interview for a promotion to line up

daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Good luck with the promotion interview. Thought of you today as I searched for knickers that fitted! Ha!
    Also - I read your first sentence as liver - not fiver! I thought, well, it#s all those glasses of water reviving it. ;)

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

It's 2.2 metres square, so as much area as a std 8'x6' greenhouse. The massive base could hold a fair amount of heat, something useful for a greenhouse, but which I will have to minimise for the obsy.

20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Yes, but where is the isolated pier ? Every time you move or a lorry or car passes on the road there will be surface vibrations that will affect photographic work.