1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done you!
    I inherited a house in pristine condition and totally painted in magnolia. I'm now getting a bit jaded with it, but unsure if I want the hassle of moving furniture, with my aches and pains. My shoulders also limit my actions!

John Farrell likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ours was not so tastefully presented... We did look at a property which was a recent build but it was all magnolia and thick carpets, all just fitted to bump the selling price up. We preferred to give this place a bit of overdue attention rather than pay more and at some point rip out new carpets and repaint. The only projects remaining now are refitting the kitchen and possibly reinstating the chimney for a stove.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Sounds good! My move was pure chance. Sold mine to a builder working on it when I got the home report (which was awful). Looked around town now I'm old and alone, and found nothing suitable - all houses that had been left unoccupied and damp and horrid. In desperation I posted on FB asking if anyone selling. Bingo. This early Swedish build house had been rented out, but totally refurbished by the owner who messaged me and that was it. Just luck!

Zou likes this.
  4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am saving (or will be soon when I get straighter) my pennies to get someone in. I once demonstrated I could not paint a wall! (put too much on in some places and too little on in the others) yet strangely I can paint 25mm minature figures right down to the finest details

My kitchen and bathroom are magnolia and the rest is white. I dislike both colours as I always think it makes a place look like you are not planning on staying, Once it is done I will have a pale lilac bathroom and either a pale green or a duck egg blue kitchen. The hallway and living room I am leaning towards a pale gold or maybe copper (with the radiator cabinets and skirting boards in a darker copper) or even a warm yellow/peach

In the bedroom I am only going to have one wall done (the bedroom is just storage space and a bed) but that will be a bright sky blue because that was Dave's favourite colour for walls

Zou likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My aunt had to talk me out of the original plan, which was deep purple in the bathroom, bright gold or copper elsewhere

Zou likes this.
  6. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

A photography one.

Bought a lens from Ffordes, one I'd been after a while if a used one in decent nick turned up: Canon EF 50mm F1.8 USM. Very pleased on receipt, Ffordes rated it as "slight signs of use", were I selling it I'd go higher and say "mint-", and it was certainly a bargain at less than £200. I knew from the listing and pictures it had front and back caps, proper Canon ones, but no hood, which was fair enough as Canon don't always include hoods with lenses. But this lens could see use for outdoor portraits, wide open, so I want a hood.

Further cause for celebration today: I already have the hood. Consulting the comprehensive guide "Everything EOS 2012" which Forum regular Sid kindly sent me a link to, it turns out the hood needed is the same as that attached to my EF 70-210 f3.5-4.5 USM. So no further ebaying required.

daft_biker likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Do you mean the f1.4? Wouldn't £200 be very expensive for a f1.8?

8. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

In fact neither: I meant to type "85mm".

9. Catriona

Turned the mattress over. I'm still alive and moving. Time for a coffee.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My mum asked me to go over a few weeks ago as she was really struggling to turn her king size mattress on her own. I got cross for her trying to do it alone.
    I then went to her house and saw that it was a no turn mattress with a memory foam topping built into it. She almost did her self an injury for no need.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

I've got a separate cool memory foam topping for mine so I was OK! I remember going for a memory foam on when I first moved here. I had to replace it rather quickly since I couldn't take the boiling overnight. Ha!

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Hers has just a couple of inches of foam topping as part of the mattress. We have had one for years and it was really comfy. Our new mattress is a super king with around 4 inch or so of pillow topping and is extremely comfortable. It weighs a ton. The delivery guys struggled getting it in. Thank god we don’t need to turn it all.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Happy to have found a good replacement marmalade for my homemade stuff (no longer making it). It's Mackays three fruit marmalade. Quite a small jar, but not expensive and tastes nice. Doesn't take much to please me. I think I've tried every marmalade available but this is the one for me. :)

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be a bit crowded, and noisy? Still, you could always tell them that the steam was smoke off the water.

Our house sorting has rather run out of steam with the redundancy money running low though, amazingly, we've been able to fix the mortgage for a decade without paying too much more, which should help us save with a bit of luck. In the meantime we are left with a bedroom which is a fetching shade of beige, with a very, very slightly darker beige feature wall. Quite why escapes us.

Anyway, RTBC - SUNSHINE!

DaveM399 and Catriona like this.
  15. Catriona

Ran out of that shade? Haha!
    In my big old house I experimented with some William Morris pattern papers. I loved them, as they covered a lot of sins which would have shown up if just painted.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Did they fade? We are planning to use WM paper on one wall in our bedroom (just painted it as interim, but wallpaper is next step) but are concerned it may fade and lose its charm.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Catriona

Mine didn't fade, no, but I guess they didn't have to stand up to a lot of direct sunlight. I used the bigger pattern on the walls above the dado rail and a toning tiny repeat pattern under the dado rail, which I loved.

Zou likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sounds nice. We matched the bedroom paint to one of the dominant colours in 'Golden Lily' - looks good but will be even better with the feature wall papered. Shouldn't get much direct sunlight but I'm just cautious!

Catriona likes this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, and a RTBC - new 1k and 5k running personal best times, set mostly into the wind. :)

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Oh, that's a nice one! My only gripe was the length of the pattern when matching up the next strip. ;)

Zou likes this.