1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

True. :(

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Two more RTBC.

This turned up
    IMG_20191030_142350.jpg
    And finally, after having a front tooth out I've been able to knore a lamb chop.

daft_biker and EightBitTony like this.
  3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Wot is it?

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Fortunately I got it at a show discount. Still painful though. Had to wait as these are built to order.

6. Catriona

7. Catriona

What do you fit it onto?

8. Learning

It is mostly hollow so not too heavy. You do not fit it on to anything except a mount. Then you fit a camera or eyepiece to it.

Catriona likes this.
  9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Comes in at 19kg, so a one man lift (Just, for me).

Catriona likes this.
  10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

This goes on the back
    IMG_20191030_194436.jpg
    And this is what it goes on
    IMG_20191030_194536.jpg

daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  11. Learning

My limit is about 25kg. A standard bag of cement.When I was very much younger I could get a one cwt drum of Snowcem into a Bedford van. I cheated and rolled it up a scaffold board.

12. Learning

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Definitely. Though it'll be December at least before first light, as there have been delays in collateral work. The 'scope and camera have a similar FoV to the Deer Lick and Stephan's Quintet photo I posted earlier, but the resolution is theoretically a lot finer.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

It's not so much the weight, it's being able to lift it onto the mount on the pier in a safe and controlled manner. Not something you'd want to drop!

15. Learning

Sounds like that one clears the area of trip hazards, has two people to lift, one each side of the plynth, and you to instruct the handlers and secure the fixings.

16. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

It's a nice damp evening here - so no Halloween hijinks. The stern Presbyterians who founded this place didn't bring the Celtic variety, and the American variety is a recent unwelcome import.

Catriona likes this.
  17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

18. Catriona

Time to scare the kids.
    Hahaha!
    Happy Halloween!
    ap halloween kate 2.jpg

Gezza and daft_biker like this.
  19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No, they're still around and pretty good, especially the Meade ACF and Celestron Edge-HD versions. However this is a fair bit lighter due to the CF tube and not having a big lump of glass at the front. Also SCTs focus by moving the primary mirror along the axis, which is not good optically, and introduced mirror slop, even in Celestron's design. The optics of the ODK are fixed relative to each other (To within +/- 1 mm) with focusing happening after the final corrector. I had been in the market for a 12" / 300mm Ritchey-Chretien 'scope, but this came in between the two I had been looking at (GSO at £3+k, CFF £7.5k allowing for exchange rates), and was built here.

20. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I was the owner of a couple of scopes, including a C8, and followed the hobby like a crazed hippy, camping at various star camps, member of the BAA, Webb Society, even FRAS for a number of years. I even had a Starlab mobile planetarium which I took around schools for a few years teaching astronomy at various key stages. Sadly my illness struck and I just couldn't stand the cold and damp. All a distant memory now of some 16 years past.