1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Do you remember those 11+ questions I posted some time back?

The results are in and the boy got a high enough mark to take his pick of any of the schools around here - even the 'super selective' ones. Well done him.

As an aside his mate scored maximum marks - a feat achieved less than once a year among a cohort of almost 20,000 children. Amazing!!

MickLL

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well done to him.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Did your humerus impact into your Glenoid cavity (that's a part of the shoulder for those who are going to crack a joke:D)?
    Being unable to move the arm above shoulder level usually indicates an issue with the Gleno-humeral joint, as 60 degrees can be coped with by the scapula, with the other few degrees being a cheat - I'd have someone look at it again to see if any physio can help.

BiL injured his arm donkey's years ago, way before we met.
    A few years back he asked me to look at it, and he couldn't raise his arm above shoulder level, and very limited rotation. Head of humerus had impacted into glenoid cavity, and the daft buggers didn't see it on the x-ray, so now, his shoulder is, in technical terms, naffed.:confused:

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Sounds like mine. :(

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'll have to make a note of that when we go to knock a soft tennis ball around on Friday.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I haven't been able to run or even gently jog for several years now. It doesn't matter how gently I start and how slowly I try to ease myself into it my left Achilles eventually gives up the ghost. In fact that same tendon has given me trouble for no apparent reason over the last three months. It's only now after lots of physiotherapy that I'm at last starting walk without a heavy limp.

MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That's areal bummer. I couldn't coordinate running for a long time after the illness last year, but I had to scoot a bit to cross a wide road recently and the legs managed to get across in the right order. Just had nerve conduction tests and MRI to try to discover why hands and feet are not improving, but it is more an annoyance than any disability.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Were you ever on antibiotics recently? I had a reaction to Ciprofloxacin which affected my right achilles tendon. I still have to be careful not to overdo things. The antibiotic also made me sensitive to sunlight. Thankfully a hat solves that one.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Reasons to be cheerful?

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I've been lucky and led a pretty healthy life - so no antibiotics for as long as I can remember. I can't imagine that there's any connection but I did have quite a serious knee injury (playing rugby) on that side - but I don't see how that would impact the Achilles a few decades later. I fully recovered from the injury anyway and resumed not only rugby but other equally vigorous physical activities. I have no recollection of anything that would have affected my tendon.

Still , at my age, if that's all I have to moan about I'm very, very lucky. I wince at some of the injuries and handicaps we get told about on this forum.

MickLL

PS Gear grinding!! My shift key seems to be playing up and intended capitals don't always happen so apologies if I've missed any required corrections.

Catriona likes this.
  11. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Another reason to be cheerful - but for many and not the few !!!

We have been visiting all the local schools and to say I'm impressed is a vast understatement. I know that one small area of the country doesn't mean that conditions are the same everywhere but if they were I reckon that private education wouldn't need to be banned - it would die from lack of need.

Each and every one of the local schools gets great results and gives the impression of being excellent in all respects (three of the five are OFSTED outstanding). We would not have been unhappy if the LA had allocated the boy to any one of them.

I admit that we don't have 'inner city' issues but if the standards I saw could be replicated across the country we should be a very proud nation. Finally I saw no sign of budget having handicapped any one of the schools. No doubt they could have used more money - one always can - but there was no evidence of shortfall in what I saw or discussed with the staff.

MickLL

PS After 25 (voluntary) years in education I reckon to be able to read the signs and ask the right questions so my opinion isn't born out of complete ignorance!!

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

A comprehensive near me was given a poor OFSTED report yet is continually oversubscribed and there is a long queue for a place. Very strange!

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

OFSTED doesn't tell you everything and ignores a lot of factors that makes a school good or not. We have a lot of youngsters who are high academic achievers attending grammar and fee paying schools come to us for work experience to aid their application to veterinary school. I'm amazed half of them can dress themselves in the morning.

Catriona likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Tony
    zorb-football.jpg

Zou, EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

won the forum theme of the month

Gezza likes this.
  16. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I don't think that it's the school's job to teach someone how to dress in the morning. :)

MickLL

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Surgical neck fracture (and displaced), repaired with a plate, was warned from the outside it would impact mobility, physio were worse than useless, but neither they, nor the consultant were overly surprised by the limit of mobility. It has improved since the operation, but has stabilised at the stage it's at now.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When univeral education began there were many things that teachers were expected to impart to children beside the "Three Rs". The better teachers seem to have seen themselves very much as parental substitutes.

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

RTBC, our new technician, who took over from me, just texted that she had passed her PhD viva. Will raise a glass tonight.

RogerMac, Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

FTFY

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.