1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Support runners like Kipchoge?

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fraid not, but it would be nice to see the difference it makes to a crap runner like me. I've done 10k each of the last 4 weeks so doing a 5.6k today was relatively easy, even though I didn't feel all that fast. I'm constantly surprised how keeping up regular runs makes it easier and faster - regular cycling doesn't seem to reap the same benefits.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It probably wouldn't make much difference. I think I've mentioned before that my son worked on the aerodynamics for the 1:59 project. It's all about marginal gains, just like the work the company he works for has done with cycling teams. Individually these things like support runners creating a slipstream and streamlined clothing don't have much effect, but collectively they amount to several percent of efficiencies.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

At Kipchoge's level, sure, marginal gains is where it is at. But for someone like me, having someone to chase could make quite a difference. Certainly does whilst cycling; easier to push yourself an extra (say) 10 or 15% when you're chasing a wheel. The other big difference would probably be shoes - drop £250 on the Nikes Kipchoge was using and I'd expect to see a speed boost due to the construction and propulsion it offers. But as with anything, fancy shoes and pacers won't make me a 2hr marathon runner or a Hasselblad won't make me a fashion photographer. But it'd be interesting to see what difference it makes over 5k or 10k...

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You'd never manage to run 10k carrying a Hasselblad, are you crazy.

Learning, MJB and dream_police like this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You can probably add three zeros to the price of Kipchoge's shoes. As I understand they are different to 'normal' distance shoes and not available to buy.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Er, yes, I am and I reckon I could. Got one lying around to try it with? ;)

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

:eek::confused:

Money well spent!

9. EightBitTony

No, but surely a cardboard box, two bags of sugar and some line art would suffice :)

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have a box brownie, does that count?

11. EightBitTony

Sure, just run a 40k instead to even things out? :)

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

In professional road racing cycling teams rotate through a line, taking turns riding up front (pulling) before peeling off and latching onto the back. It make s huge difference and is the way races are won.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I fear it would disintegrate in my sweat.

#tryunseeingthat

AndyTake2 and EightBitTony like this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The benefits of slipstreaming in cycling are known by everyone. The marginal gains project which made TeamGB cycling so dominant in recent years focused on the tiny details. Things like the aerodynamics on frames and wheels right down to the positioning of the seams in the clothing. The marginal gains project was so successful that TeamGB paid big money for exclusivity of the research.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Those testosterone patches might have helped too... ;) The tribunal (for the doctor who ordered the patches) just kicked off.

EightBitTony likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I just assumed all cyclists are doped up to the eyeballs on pharmaceuticals. ;)

Zou likes this.
  17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I started cycling in late April (admittedly with an e-bike) and was doing 60+ miles with CTC groups 3 times a week in the summer and have gone past 1600 miles in total but I tried the NHS couch to 5k 6 weeks ago and died in the gutter on the second minute run of the starter exercise. I can't keep up with the club if it gets aerobic, which for me is 16 mph for 5 miles (no e-assist) but I'm a whiz on hills, love the e-bike. I wonder at the ambition of couch to 5k. I've done no exercise in 40 years am 2.5 stone overweight (was 3.5), built up to 200 miles a week (down to 150 after a month off) cycling but I can't run 100 yds without collapsing.

Zou likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Worth persevering, aerobic gains come quickly. :)

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, I should give it a go again. Actually thinking about it, it is only 33 years without any exercise. I started jogging then stopped when I could outpace my eldest over - I suppose 3 miles (home to home via Chester city walls) - when he was aged 7. He's 40 now (and jogs). My brother (18 months younger) does tri's having worked up from 5k to 10k to half marathon to marathon to triathlon with a couple of ironmen thrown in. Mad, completely mad.

Zou likes this.
  20. EightBitTony

Last time I ran (jogged, to pick up a soft tennis ball) I fell over, broke shoulder and foot, was in hospital for five days, won the forum theme of the month, was off work for two months, had surgery and still can't lift my arm above shoulder height.

So, no, I won't be running anywhere, ever again.

steveandthedogs likes this.