1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You wicked boy! Ha!
    Yoo-hoo! ~~~~~~~~~~
    Been sunny and warm here. Hope OK with you too. Mind you, the forecast for us isn't good for the weekend. :(

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Quite a long way as we are in Gairloch, the view is across miles and miles of the Minch.

Kate, had a lovely day today, but our forecast looks equally pants for the rest of our stay. Ah well, we didn't come for the weather!

While I am typing, great news in that small scots father is clear of melanoma! He has an abcess where they did the lymph node biopsy, which is pretty sore, but right now he is pretty happy and so are we.

Gezza, Zou, DaveS and 4 others like this.
  3. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We had our old heatpumps replaced today - the installers arrived at 8.30, and in just over 2 hours they had pulled out the old units and fitted the new ones - a good thing on a frosty morning. Just to add to the pleasure, the cost of one of the units was almost covered by a government subsidy!

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Tiverton and Honiton :)

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I reckon we might even need a new thread for that one, Dave. A thread entitled something like: "YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!"

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Hardly unexpected. Johnson is a liability. Everyone but Boris knows that.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Should make my Boris loving local MP look nervously over his shoulder as his 18,000 majority not look so comfortable.

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

And long may he continue to be so :)

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

To overturn a 24,00 majority into an absolute majority for the Lib Dems is spectacular, and the biggest turnover against the Tories ever.
    Tories held that seat for just shy of 100 years.
    Steady Eddie may seem some what the quite man, but he is very effective.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think we need to be careful not to get too excited. The Tories polled 19,000 fewer votes than the last election,but the Lib-Dems didn't gain many votes suggesting most Tory supporters abstained, rather than switch alligience.

SqueamishOssifrage, peterba and Zou like this.
  12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Sends a clear message though... Boris won't understand it but the rest of the Tories might.

Zou and peterba like this.
  13. Terrywoodenpic

Turnouts are usually down in by-elections.
    It is the split of the vote that matters.

14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree, Martin - definitely no justification for getting excited. It's noteworthy that the Tories STILL managed to garner 30% of the vote in Wakefield, and 38% in Tiverton & Honiton. :confused:

Having said that, I am going to allow myself to be just a little pleased.

Zou likes this.
  15. Terrywoodenpic

That is rather different to the 70% + they usually hold the Tiverton seat by .
    They had held the seat since 1924. so was one of their very safest seats.
    It is the greats majority turnover that the Tory party have ever suffered at any time in their history.

This is way different to the usual By-Election hiatus.

peterba, WillieJ and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. Learning

I recently met an old friend and Tiverton voter at a social and hill walking event. He is true blue and stated that he was going to vote Liberal in order to give Johnson a ******* bloody thrashing. His very respectable lady wife echoed the statement without the word which I replaced by stars. My impression is that Tiverton Tories have not just voted for a no hoper, or abstained. They hae voted effectively for a wet liberal who had a chance of winning. Johnson has to go.
    The question is when. Being PM and first lord of the treasury is presently a rather poisoned chalice. I'd quite happily put our leader of the opposition in to bat for a few years. He would certainly mess up and hopefully jettison NI.

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Starmer is a charisma free zone but very competent (how many recent Tory leaders would be described as very competent by anyone without risking an immediate nose extension?). NI will decide its own future.

Gezza and peterba like this.
  18. Learning

I suspect that many lefties and anarchists would prefer Johnson rather than Starmer as a target. Perhaps @Zou could enlighten us on that comment.
    I would just say that we need competence over showmanship. Also, although I am a natural Tory I believe that we need a change of government now and again to reinforce our democracy. In a democracy, twelve years is too long for one government.

19. Learning

NI must certainly decide its own future. They are not going to be able to do that under a Conservative and Unionist government.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Just found out our old (1997) car can use E10! I’d read somewhere that it couldn’t!