1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Le grand toux?

2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

During the 1957 Asian flu epidemic it was officially recommended to light a cigarette and blow smoke all over the telephone in a public 'phone box before using it. In my opinion, definitely NOT "most efficacious in every case" but akin to going to the scaffold! ;)

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Hooky (Hook Norton) do some good ales. Haven't tried that one yet

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A certain premier league result today. Ooof.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

RTBC. Cardamom seeds float in water.
    I carelessly threw some cardamom seeds into rice and water. I should have pre crushed the cardamom. No problem; the rice sank and the cardamom floated. It was easy to squash the seeds against the side of the pan with a fork. The end result was excellent.

Catriona and Zou like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm pleased I managed to resist replying to the question how to shoot a proposal! But I was tempted so badly!

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It must be nice to be so easily cheered! :p :D

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Yes, the only cigarette with a picture of the factory on the packet.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wow! I wish I'd seen that - must have been very impressive, they are *big* birds. One of my favourites - though I suspect that he Co-op probably limited the scope for aerobatics. Maybe it was, like me, looking for the end-of-shelf-life bargains?

Zou, Catriona and DaveS like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, one of my favourites too. I just love the way they play in the air. It is a large Co-op store and it flew around it settling now and then on overhead banners. What I loved was the concern shown by everyone I spoke to, afraid it might hurt itself.
    I do hope it got outside again safely.

PS and yes! They are bloomin big birds! I honestly thought the Co-op had excelled itself on Halloween displays.

Zou likes this.
  11. Learning

Simple food saved. If the rice had not been adequately flavoured by the cardamom an otherwise nice meal would have been not as good as it should be. That would have annoyed me. To me, food is more than fuel. I enjoy cooking and I generally enjoy that which I cook.

AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Got a second-hand acoustic simulator for my guitar today - decent enough price (£45) and like the sound it produces - I can make screechy noises with a nice acoustic sound through headphones :)

...Mind you, the amp that I use has got to go back to the shop, as the headphone connector is buggered:eek:
    Just as well I have a small headphone amp as well.

WillieJ likes this.
  13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Got ready this morning to call my landlord, by "ready" from experience I made a coffee. grabbed a bottle of water, a packet of biscuits and a good long book. I've been on hold for over an hour before now and that only to get a promise someone would call me back who never did! (Although my record for being on hold belongs to National Girobank, how long was on hold? Let's just say I got a fair way through "Lord of the Rings")

Just as I was about to make the call I got a text they were sorry they took a week to get back to me but they have booked an appointment to come and hopefully sort out my heating and hot water between 8-1 tomorrow morning! Now just hoping it doesn't turn out a part needs replaced because the last time that happened I went almost 6 months (including the winter months) without heating or hot water

14. Learning

If you do end up without gas heating for a time then I suppose using an electric fan heater becomes very expensive. There is a tendency for the relative humidity of the air in an unheated room to rise. If you use an electrical dehumidifier you get more heat out than the kWh that you put in. Its all to do with the latent heat of evaporation. Of course if the fabric of the room gets damp then you get cooling as the walls and contents dry out. Last winter I had a long central heating failure. I heated my living room with my gas fire but the bedroom was fine with a dehumidifier. Provided that the unit was actually condensing moisture then there was a genuine gain. I cannot quantify it practically but in theory the gain is about 2,260 kJ/litre of condensed water .1 Kilowatt hour (kWh) is equal to 3600 kilojoules (kJ).

WillieJ likes this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Hearing the less than dulcet tones of Nigel Farage!

Hold back on the straight jackets please! My PC last week crashed over and the hi-fi jack took the impact and shattered so I couldn't connect to my hi-fi although I could use headphones , which meant the jack had not snapped inside the socket but no hi-fi so I ordered a new adaptor. Rather pleased when I realised for £2.45 I'd got 3 of them! But when I screwed everything in there was no sound.

Checked the software and there were 2 identically named options so I switched to the other one and went to YouTube and selected "Firth of Forth" by Genesis and clicked on it.

No idea why but the ad before the track was Nigel Farage talking bollocks but I was just pleased I could hear him talking them!

Okay that's the fastest anyone has hit the "Skip ad" button!

Learning likes this.
  16. Learning

Glad the system is working. Why hasn't Farage got the message. Just like Bozo, His job is done. Its time for both to retire.

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Happy birthday Tiff....

18. Learning

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As someone who spent four years editing our camera clubs weekly newsletter, your newsletter is excellent.

20. Learning

Thanks for the compliment. I hope that I also get some useful criticism to suggest how I could do it better. I am learning, slowly, useful conventions of design and how to use Affinity Publisher. When I become proficient it will be time to retire. I'd like to redesign the front page, much of which I inherited.