1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hancock's UN job offer withdrawn. "The last thing the African continent needs is a failed British politician. This isn't the 19th Century."

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed. At times, it feels more like the bloody 18th century. After all, we've got a Minister for it. :(

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As in a minister to oversee the transition forward to the 18th C?

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well the Duppies are still fighting the battle of the Boyn, or is that Koom Valley:mad:

LesleySM, peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Just listen to that music wid der rocks in it!

LesleySM likes this.
  6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yesterday I fancied making some brown bread, for which I would require some molasses, so I put it on the shopping list. In the supermarket a young Anglo-Cypriot lady of some comeliness, with whom I had chatted in the past, asked if she could help (yes, they still do that king of thing in Cyprus), she having seen me going through all the products in the honey and sweet spreads section. I told her I was looking for some molasses, to which she instantly replied "Try the meat counter, but I think you'll have to buy the whole mole." It took a second, but then I did laugh, and have been chuckling about it since.

She did then take me to the 'Ethnic foods' section where it was to be found.

Gezza, gray1720, Zou and 6 others like this.
  7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Having not had any for months, I've had a run of four postcards in a fortnight on ebay I've been able to buy (I collect ones of the villages my Essex family are from). One I've never seen before showing a church before it was rebuilt in 1908 (two squid including postage!), two more I'd never seen before, and one I had seen in the dim and distant past but, when I got the card, I discovered that I knew who both the recipient and the sender were - and I have photos of both!

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could post churches...

S

9. gray1720

Add to the above list getting the annual cricket club photobook finished and ordered a good three weeks before the annual piss-up. Much as I enjoy the photos, getting the book ready on time is a PITA, so it's a weight off the mind getting it done. Looks good, too.

Learning, Catriona, Zou and 1 other person like this.
  10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not come across that one. My HP still scanned after it died last week. The printer head failed which was a shame because the ink cartridges were nearly full. The printer was over its duty life. It's my office printer, so it gets hammered, and I only had 1 paper jam in 8 years - two fix which was the one and only time I cleaned the duplex mechanism.

Today's job is unboxing the replacement, which cost only a little more than a new printer head, but of course it uses different ink cartridges. This one is supposed to have duplex scanning/copying which I'm looking forward to seeing - no more standing over the scanner turning pages and hitting VueScan Scan+ button, just chuck the lot into the document feed. Hopefully!

HP Store seem to have got their act together - prices are competitive and delivery fast. I may trial their new ink subscription service - the printer auto-orders ink when it is getting low, though the "old" system is quite good. The old printer had a "web-page" that showed ink status and allowed one click ordering for each cartridge that was low.

12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

When our last Epson printer/scanner died, a few years ago, we replaced it with a laser printer. For scanning, I use my Canoscan film scanner.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My 16 year old BMW just sailed through its MOT. I'm a bit baffled by this advisory-"Direction indicator slightly discoloured Offside Front”. What's a "direction indicator"?

14. gray1720

*titter*

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It's the one with the middle finger sticking up isn't it?

Zou, peterba, MJB and 1 other person like this.
  16. gray1720

*Bigger titter*

Zou, Catriona and peterba like this.
  17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Its something they tried on older cars a while ago..... Due to customer feedback they are no longer fitted.

MJB likes this.
  18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Real question is - "What is a BMW direction indicator?".

19. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

See above

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think Catriona answered that.

Catriona and WillieJ like this.