1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Your wean has a serious talent there!

My RTBC is that the cricket season finished today and I took the most wickets I have ever taken in a season - 31 - and also made 24 runs, my best score of the year, to finish the season on 162 runs.

Gear grinding territory - we still lost, and I stopped a yorker on the foot - anyone feeling the cold is welcome to come and sit round my foot, because it's got a proper throb on right now!

ETA - how could I forget this (beer - that's how) - NO DUCKS! Only the fourth season I've done it for my main team, including one where I only played 4 games, and not one this year for *any* team I've played for - as an often indifferent batsman, who once had a trot (when life was collapsing round him) of four ducks in five balls, that means a hell of a lot. Just wish I could chew the fat with Dad about it - did have a little Celia Johnston moment as I walked back to my mark after the 30th wicket.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Thinking outside the box. I reckon there's money to be made.
    unnamed (2).jpg

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What is it?

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's a fifth wheel dolly. It enables you to attach standard lorry trailers to a tractor.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Gosh. Yes, could be useful indeed!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Are there many of those in use?

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I could get you some Muscovy.

S

gray1720 likes this.
  8. gray1720

Probably a bit for just the two of us, much as I like eating them...

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

How's the foot?

10. gray1720

Swollen, purple and throbbing, matron!

I don't think anything is broken as I could run on it, and can walk on it today, and there's no pain if I palpate the underside of the foot, but it's less than comfortable, and I am expecting the bruise to get a lot more exciting looking over the next few days. I may have to take a photo - it could be a cracker.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Hopefully, no lasting damage has been done.
    I twisted my left ankle very badly in the 1960s, and just recently I've been having severe pain at the site for around 3 days, and then I'm OK - until the next time.
    (Back in the 1960s, I was off work for two weeks with my ankle in an elasticated bandage, and seriously incapacitated for a further 6 weeks. The bandage was too tight, and only when it was taken off did healing start, and that was after two weeks when I needed crutches.)

12. gray1720

It's funny you should say that, Malcolm - Dad fell off a cricket pavilion step in 1972 and badly damaged his arm - in about 2015 he suddenly had a repeat of the bruising from that, with no obvious cause.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Many larger livestock farms have them, as they bought 40ft flatbed trailers for bale hauling. We're still using a couple of bale trailers that were based on the old railway Scammell Scarab drays.

871779473384860.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Learning and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How much red diesel you got?

Catriona likes this.
  15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Cheeky!

Zou likes this.
  16. Learning

Well in the old railway Scamell days it would be a fourth wheel.

17. Learning

It even seems to have brakes unless the pipes are just cosmetic.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I was little, I had a Triang OO gauge railway set. Some kind relative gave me a model of a Scammell Horse with a trailer and various crates and milk churns to go on it. Added a whole new dimension to the train set, all on its own! :D

Learning, John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  19. Learning

It wasn't just the railways that had them. Our coal man had one and it could U turn in our street. My dad's old Morris Ten needed to do a three point turn to do that.
    You couldn't turn Martin's trailer in our street at all; the trailer looks longer than the width of the street.

20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I should blooming well hope so. It amazes me how hay bale lorries manage to get around. I don't think I've seen an articulated one - only flatbeds - but they never look "safe" to me - always on the precarious side.

Learning likes this.