1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Never mind the lawn. What about me?
    Do you mean epicaricacy?
    Actually I prefer schadenfreude. In spite of the Germanic origin of schadenfreude that word seems more integrated into English than epicaricacy. I had not even heard of the latter until reading the contribution of some pretentious prick in Pedantry Corner who stated that there was an English word meaning 'chadenfreude'.

2. Learning

That would depend upon whether this person had already bred.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just sold a lens on eb*y
    Went for £421.10p
    Minus eb*y & PayPal fees I ended up with approx £380
    Why have I a reason to be cheerful?
    Not bad seeing as I gave it a starting price of £300
    Even better is that MBP offered me £245

Zou and Catriona like this.
  4. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Schadenfreude for me.

Learning likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

St. Johnstone won the Scottish League cup; great result!

Catriona likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Glorious weather, out on the bike, gardened, worked on shed, saw first bee of the year.... Just lovely!

Learning, Zou and Catriona like this.
  7. Simon Leung

Simon Leung Well-Known Member

Finished off 1 roll of Ilford XP2 400 in 120 format, yesterday.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Perusing the BBC to find out what time the next test in India takes place I noticed it starts at 4 am on Thursday...however it's scheduled as part of the New Zealand one day cup...
    bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scores-fixtures/2021-03-04 not a link as being a total incompetent can't do links on my kindle

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The IIIf just back from Newton-Ellis.

Now has a brilliant rangefinder and everything is silky smooth.

I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

S

Simon Leung and gray1720 like this.
  10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Not a good choice of present!

11. gray1720

I've only handled a Barnack Leica once, but that's how it felt - utterly different to anything else, especially of shared vintage. Enjoy it, I shall just go green in the corner.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

Bonnie has about 3000 children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Christmas day is fine until I have to turn up for dinner.

S

13. steveandthedogs

Well, if ever you do get to this part of the world...

S

14. gray1720

Looking at the photos recently of everyone trying to get into Snowdonia, I'm not sure there's space any more :-(

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Could try via the Boris roundabout on under the IoM?

gray1720 likes this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Suppose I should feel grateful that my council tax is frozen for this year.

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Like the services on offer? ;) I haven't heard yet, but our council is always the last.

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Lucky you - here we pay rates, the amount based on land value. The local council's trading enterprises have been hit hard by the lack of tourists. The power distribution company owned by the council has been forced to undertake a huge amount of maintenance work (they were using dividends to offset rate rises). So not only are our power bills going up, we may also be facing a 10% rate rise.

19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I haven't heard yet and hope mine is but my council are a shower when it comes to council tax. A couple of years ago I got into arrears and agreed to pay so much a month off the arrears via direct debit then I got some extra money and paid the arrears off on their website and emailed them to say I had done it. Well the following April my council tax shot up as they never sent me a bill I had no idea why just put it down to they need the money. Then last March my council tax bill for the month was £4! I mean I was delighted to effectively get £85 I wasn't expecting but I checked with them (before celebrating) and it turned they'd been taking the arrears off even though I'd paid them! My council tax for this year has been £11 a month less than it was last year!

20. Learning

Of course you are suffering from the lack of tourists. You have no oversea tourists. I say lucky you.
    Here in Britain I would welcome no oversea tourists. I would welcome no UK oversea tourists returning from only God knows where. God doesn't exist.
    You have done pretty well so far (but have no hint of immunity from infection). Holidays should be great. Staycation rules.

As far as UK goes (and I wish that was Britain) We should ditch our Red list and have a Green list. As of today I would suggest that Israel and UAE, plus maybe NZ, for the green list.
    Edit. my reply was to our ambassador to New Zealand.