1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It isn't the first, it's the last :D

Yep = building the last takes some time and money.
    Alt-Berg give a breakdown of why their made-to-measure boots cost £1500 and upwards, with the last making costing a fair chunk of the price.
    https://www.altberg.co.uk/boot-fitt...berg-factory-shop/made-to-measure-price-guide

Learning and Zou like this.
  2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

On the subject of lasts, why is it that some companies think everyone has long narrow feet, and relatively few foot shaped cycling/football shoes exist?

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

That's where a bit of common sense comes in - although it isn't that common.
    Different countries produce different shaped shoes based on their population. Years back, if one purchased a pair of Scarpa boots, it was the equivalent of foot-binding, they were that bloody narrow.
    Then they introduced a more UK-centric measured boot, and have been pretty good since then.
    ALt-Berg do different boot shapes, with their A-Form last being something which actually fits normal feet. It doesn't really help for cyclists, but for walkers, military and coppers it is a great thing.
    Best thing we did was take my wife to Whalley Warm and Dry, who not only shaped a pair of boots to accomodate her foot problems, but quick as a flash diagnosed one of the issues and prescribed a size 10 insole (a specific type) cut down for her own foot size. I'd recommend them to anyone

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

For ages I have had a persistent back ache when I walk a dull ache from my right hip that then spreads around to my sacro-iliac joint on that side it's not major but by the end of the day for example sometimes I can't face the 5 minute walk to Lidl after work and end up using the Co-Op (given the price difference the Sketchers will pay for themselves in a month!) and I have this thing where if I have to stand for a bit (like in a queue, which right now happens a lot) I have to lean back and even that isn't comfortable but it's the only way I can stand unless I can find something to lean on

Today wearing the Sketchers I didn't even really notice my hip pain it was just there a lot less and my back was fine. I had to queue for a bit to get into Lidl and it wasn't a problem at all and I was able to stride with relative ease (any difficulty down to having mistakenly put on a pair of pants that were a bit tight!)

I wonder whether its down to the memory foam insoles as it says on the box "Contours to your foot" whereas a lot of other shoes seem to try and make your foot contour to the shoe!

Catriona likes this.
  6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The Alt-berg I was issued with at work were very comfortable and we could order them in different widths. Great pair of boots.

7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

8. LesleySM

I think I have fixed the sound problem on my PC

Did it tonight again then I noticed the case at the bottom has come away from the front panel a bit so I put it on the side, lined the bits on the case with the slots on the bottom and gave the front panel a serious whack to force the case and the front panel to fit together and it's been fine ever since

9. LesleySM

Ages ago I brought a dress that didn't quite fit because it was off the peg and the company made it to measure.

Thereafter I brought a few things from them and they were at least £30-£40 made to measure cheaper because they had the template for cutting material for me filed away so they didn't waste material or have to work it out again they just used the old templates

10. dream_police

I’ve signed up to an agency that supplies drivers and North West Ambulance Service have given them the job of finding qualified drivers with experience of blue light driving to cover ambulances during the pandemic.
    Might be driving with blues and twos again.:)

Will find out more on Wednesday apparently.

RovingMike, DaveM399, Zou and 5 others like this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That would be great! Good luck.

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Well done you - keep safe!

13. dream_police

There could be hundreds of us though I guess, so who knows if I’ll get any work out of it, which is both full time and ad hoc. Fingers crossed though.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Can't beat a bit of percussive maintenance!

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If it moves, but shouldn't....... Duct Tape

If it doesn't move but should...... WD-40

16. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Is this a new lockdown measure?

MJB, Catriona and Zou like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My brother is an engineering fitter at AWE, Aldermaston. His mantra is "if it won't fit, hit it. If it still won't fit, cut it. If it still won't fit, paint it.".

LesleySM and DaveM399 like this.
  18. dream_police

My friends daughter works at AWE in contingency/emergency planning (or something like that). I shall get her to add that mantra when they look at "when things go wrong":)

MJB and Zou like this.
  19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There is a possible infinite loop in that diagram. It is obvious.
    The method will hang.
    Spaghetti flow charts are rubbish. Less simple infinite loops are easily occidentally hidden .
    There are better ways of developing and illustrating algorithms.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2021
  20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My rugby club was built entirely by the members. There is a photo of the human pyramid "scaffold" used to install the projector for the 12ft TV that was used as the opening slide in one members PowerPoint presentation at his H&S meetings for Network Rail.