1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Have to. Can't be responsible for all the strain it would put on her indoors if she had to spend every waking hour thinking up things I needed to do around the house / garden. ;)

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember a chap I worked with who was an avid (rabid?) golfer brought a catalogue in one day. Good grief! A couple of hundred pages of clubs, balls, 'accessories'.

Weirdest thing I remember from it was an iron the face of which was guaranteed to rust quickly. Apparently a rusty face gives better control/distance/whatever, but pre-rusted clubs are not allowed. Or so he said at the time. :confused:

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The thing that has amazed me coming back to it is just how narrow the range of choices now is. So many brands have been swallowed up, or just died. Even Nike pulled out of golf and it was a big target for them at one time. Yes I guess a rusty club face would give more grip, but I can't say I have seen one on a modern stainless steel club. Like most sports, the money is now in poser's clothing, not the equipment.

4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I gave it up over 20 years ago when I moved here. It was very easy when I lived in Cornwall as the course was at the bottom of my garden and I could play my way into town from 12-18 and 7-11 on the way back home. As much as I loved it, it is very addictive and I don’t think I could give up that amount of time again.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Got my bonus- okay the tax man took a lot of it but still lovely to have a day when I could buy a friend a few beers I owe him and have something to eat in the Bells without worrying about the cost- normal frugality will be restored tomorrow

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

RTBC
    When my dog comes over to check I am ok when I fall.
    Last night one of the joints in my foot dislocated and put me on my arse (well, side anyway)
    This was in the living room. My dog jumped off the sofa and came up to me and started kissing me, making sure I was ok - it wasn't a play thing, where he would be bouncing around, just pure concern.
    All this whilst he is a bit poorly with his stomach.
    :)

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If either of us are feeling down and going through a bit of depression, our cat clearly senses it and won't leave us alone. She'll come and sit with/on the person all day if need be. Strange what they can sense.

After my daughter died, neither our cat or my daughters cat went in her bedroom again, they both completely avoided it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    RovingMike, Zou and AndyTake2 like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Spitting Image is back next week.

9. dream_police

It's only on a pay TV basis though isn't it?

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's on Britbox.

11. dream_police

I don't have that. I will have to wait for when it appears on Dave in a few years time when it is no longer current happenings.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Hopefully by then it will be a lesson that will be learnt...

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

It's not massively expensive £5.99 a month and a lot of very good stuff I'm currently watching "Red Dwarf"

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I can well imagine that Trump and many Republicans absolutely 'love' the new Spitting Image series! ...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Per Oscar Wilde, better than not being talked about eh?

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Just finished putting in a couple of passive volume controls in the hi-fi system. One was a bought'un, but I had to build the other from parts. Fortunately I had an two-way input RCA switch in the cupboard that I could bastardize by adding a rheostat on one of the inputs. The biggest stroke of luck is that a couple of weeks ago I was wanted to buy some resistors for an audio filter, but the shop I go to had stopped selling electronic parts, but he did manage to find one rheostat in the back room. I bought it, mainly because he was so helpful in poking around for it, and just thought it 'might come in useful one day'.

For a passive volume control, the input impedance must be at least 10 times, as an absolute minimum, the output impedance of the preamp. It measured to be 47kΩ versus output of 470Ω - perfect. It also happened to a twin-gang job, which I hadn't noticed before, so good for stereo - otherwise I would have had to buy another one. I can now independently set the volume of the bass channels and the mid range/treble channels in the bi-amped system, and I only burnt myself once with the soldering iron. ;)

Just to test it out, I put on some gentle Pink Floyd as quiet background music.*

*If you believe the 'gentle', 'quiet' and 'background' bits you'll believe any damn' thing I tell you! :D If the glasses ain't jumping on the shelves then you ain't listening to Pink Floyd right! :cool:

John Farrell likes this.
  17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And when your better half heard it, did you have to run like hell? ;)

John Farrell and spinno like this.
  18. dream_police

No. She just hit him until he was comfortably numb.

John Farrell likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ahem... Are you assuming wives didn't like Pink Floyd belting out? They probably still tell of the crazy woman who used to drive home late at might, windows open and cassette blasting forth!

John Farrell likes this.
  20. dream_police

You crazy diamond you! Just sit back and have a cigar.