1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I was due to have a consultation for my hernia in April, which was cancelled due to COVID. It is NHS but I opted to go to the private hospital next door. Glad I did. I had the consultation today and he's booked me in for surgery on 14th October (unless the shit hits the fan again in the meantime). So that is nice and quick.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is there a satisfactory British alternative to Brie? The real stuff will be more expensive by January. A good thing too. Importing French cheese is bad for our balance of payments.
    The question was of course rhetorical!
    https://www.britishfinefoods.com/shop-all-departments/cheese/soft-cheese

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is that a likely consequence of the hernia?

4. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Had some great local cheeses down here as well. Tempted to bring a few back.

Zou likes this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Only if Mrs Nige slams the brakes on when collecting him from hospital...:eek:

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's great Nige. My hubby had a double which was pretty bad but he had the op locally by a great Egyptian surgeon and was out in a couple of days. It made a heck of a difference to him - and to me! Ha!

AndyTake2 likes this.
  7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

On your first point - they don't have to. They won that battle in court, despite its flimsy underpinnings, mainly due to the government's lack of due diligence.

On the second point, four things:-

1. The DAC in my CD player is audibly superior to the DAC in the hi-fi laptop, and it has much better anti-glitch capabilities.
    2. A seven minute WAV rip is likely to have a high error rate, and less errors means longer time to rip. For 2,000+ CDs? No thanks!
    3. WAV loses all meta-data, otherwise preserved by FLAC, and takes twice as much space, and the CD cover scan keeps it all anyway.
    4. It's still illegal, despite the fact that that you are unlikely to get sued.

On that last point, I haven't been able to find out is it's illegal in Cyprus, as there is no specific law. Many EU countries charge an additional tax on blank CDs and tape to pass on to the music industry, which keeps those moguls out of there usual litigation frenzy. This, of course, begs the question of 'What about dirt cheap disk drives?'. The UK made a mistake by passing a law making it legal for personal use, giving the rabid mogul's lawyers something to attack, and so got the law reversed. The UK government should have just STFU in the first place!

8. dream_police

I will be in and out in a day. Only kept in overnight if there is an issue, such as not being able to pass urine. It will be done keyhole as opposed to open. He is an experienced surgeon and does around a 100 a year and has been doing it since 1995 he told me.
    I was quite surprised at how long the recovery time was though of several weeks.

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

That's great. My hubby was trickier with his conditions (lungs) and it was a bad double, but his was keyhole too. I guess since he wasn't doing anything too strenuous afterwards he didn't find it too restrictive. I guess no heavy lifting, for example! So behave. :)

dream_police likes this.
  10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Recovery time is always a surprise for many.
    Remember that the area has to scar and heal - although putting a patch on (I assume this is what they will do) seems to be a simple fix, it does have to permanently attach itself to the body. Just give it time and you will be fine.
    I was in and out overnight when I had surgery on my leg nearly 20 years ago. Recovery time for that was nearly two years, so think yourself lucky!:eek:

dream_police likes this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Most surgery is day surgery now. My wife has had three arthroscopies on her shoulders, all day surgery and I was out within a few hours following gall bladder removal.

12. AndyTake2

Most surgery is indeed day surgery.
    I think this leads people to a false sense of security with their recovery - assuming that as the surgery and hospital stay was short, recovery is the same. IT ISN'T:eek:
    A lot of nurses look askance at releasing some patients home early, as in some cases it would really be better to keep the patient in hospital, whereas most will benefit from being home early.
    Back in the stone age (the op mentioned in my last post) the district nurse questioned why I was released so quickly, but then I did have some pretty serious realignment of the leg. I have been pretty lucky in that as a former fitness instructor and sports therapist I can (and have had to!) take care of my own rehab.

Simple rule Nige:
    When you get home, your energy levels will be low.
    On around the third day, you will feel like you can jump up and do anything.
    You can't.
    It's probably just the glycogen levels returning to normal (I don't have a medical degree, so haven't been able to get an Igor to test the theory)
    If you take notice of your new surge in energy, you will be, well, fornicated.
    Take it steady for as long as you need.:)

13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Best of luck with that Nige. My hospital in Peterborough struck a deal with a local private concern to take over most of the surgery due to Covid. Just one little tip. don't let them force you out on the day post op if you are really not up to it. Post op is a critical time and early discharge in some cases can lead to readmission if the patient isn't really well enough to go home on the day.

Footloose, dream_police and AndyTake2 like this.
  14. dream_police

After my vasectomy I wondered what the fuss was. Around day 3 I felt fine. No pain, no discomfort, everything felt normal. So I went on a walk of around 6 miles. I wish I’d listened to advice! It wasn’t pretty down there.

Zou and AndyTake2 like this.
  15. AndyTake2

We got our new TV - a warranty replacement.
    I paid a bit extra to get a better TV than they offered, which meant I also get another 5 year warranty.
    We don't have to watch purple blotches on the screen now. Just got to put it through it's paces with different sources - looks like it is trying to be too smart for it's own good when viewing motion - it's frame interpolation makes it juddery, but I think that can be sorted...or it's going back.
    Just got to hang it on the wall, as the feet are right on the edge of our TV stand.

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Too much information... !

17. dream_police

Sorry. TBH though, men's bits aren't exactly the prettiest things anyway are they?:)

18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Well after a few years medication for enlarged prostate I reckon I could claim the smallest and prettiest (ain't just the prostate that gets shrunk)

19. dream_police

Now, that is too much info, lol!

Zou likes this.
  20. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That's the little blue pill you showed us some time ago (finasteride?) I suppose. The tamsulosin should not have the effect that you describe.