1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It regularly annoys me when album artwork is incorrect. Not sure I'd go as far as you have but I share the sentiment.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Not even tried khat? (Not in Britain of course).

3. Learning

I went for my flu jab appointment today. I went to the front door one minute early, after a quick temperature, check sent straight through to one of the numbered rooms, got the injection immediately and out of the building within two to three minutes. I have never known them keep to a schedule ever before. They also had a one way use of the corridors with a good flow of fresh air from the front to back of the building. I am very impressed. Just a pity that it needed a pandemic to get it working like that. I don't think that even the Swiss could have done better.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I always had to wait 15 minutes in case of a reaction. Maybe just me!

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes, I have - just like chewing a privet hedge, and it did nothing for me, probably because you have to stuff a huge chunk of it into your cheek and leave it there to fester for a while, but I spat mine out long before then. It was perfectly legal in North Yemen at the time I was there, and it was a significant, but illegal, export to Saudi Arabia because of the thousands of Yemeni expat workers there.

Since one could just drive South from Sana'a to the souk in Dhamar and - apparently legally - buy local cannabis of different varieties depending on your preference out of bags on the counters, I saw little point in cultivating the khat habit. Besides, if you carried on driving South to Taiz, and then turned West to Mocha you could always find booze smugglers there, who bought the stuff across from Djibouti in fishing dhows.

Learning likes this.
  6. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

And that is why I rip CDs and store the resultant files in nested folders.
    Classical/Composer/Bach J. S/Cello suites/Yo Yo Ma.
    etc
    Works for me, although the attic is gettinga bit full.

7. WillieJ

If you rip CDs And/or store downloads then many people swear by Roon but the thought os paying a £20 per month subscription for mu music to e organised sticks in my craw.
    i do not even get along with relational databases very well. Partly because I am too lazy to create them.
    Ripping software will often access on line databases ad data which nas players can access.
    Naim organises composers and artists by first name. Problematic if you like classical music but have not studied it to any great degree. Do I know Rachmaninov's first name and do I care?
    Other genres have problems too. Naim files B B King under R. I know why but it would never have occurred to me to look for him under that letter.

8. WillieJ

Sorry for typos. Phone and stylus. It is the thought of paying £20 per month for software to organise ones music which stcks in my craw.

9. Learning

If they had asked me to hang around for 15 mins in a corvid party then I would have declined as politely as I could. In the present situation they got it right. I am very satisfied with their service.
    But it was exciting to try. Terribly bitter, some of the locals even sucked a sweetened peppermint after using it. It did help one stay awake driving after a good mountain expedition. I never experienced any LSD effect. It would not catch on in Britain. Worse artificial substances are apparently available. I have never been tempted to try them. Khat was natural and has been used for thousands of years.You could say the same for traditional marijuana. The modern stuff is likely GM. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. As for the purely artificial chemicals like spice, the world would be a better place if the producers, middle men, retailers and users just died from the stuff.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Would a corvid party be a raven?

Danno, Learning and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh, don't crow!!

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Rookie error, sorry.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Ok..... dont flap

Catriona likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I bet you're choughed with that effort.

Catriona likes this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My cousin said M&S Brie was the best and to prove it he gave me a couple of wedges

I think he may be right

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

In order not to lose quality, I would have to rip to FLAC, and with jitter correction that is going to take as nearly long as listening to the CD. You can't actually listen to it while ripping, because FLAC software uses multi-read. I would also lose the sleeve notes - for whatever their worth on a CD.

Incidentally, ripping music, even for strictly personal use, has been illegal in the UK since 2015, despite it being specifically made legal in 2011. My analysis at the time was that the government lost the case because it just hadn't done its homework. Mind you, technically, my scanning the covers of the CDs is also illegal, but the music industry would be very hard-pressed to show loss of earnings resulting from it.

17. WillieJ

They would be hard pressed to prove loss of earnings from ripping for own use as well.
    Are your CDs all 24 bit? If n#ot why not just rip tp WAV - same quality as regular CD.

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

And they'd have to catch you!

19. WillieJ

A number of years ago a friend of Sis and B in law omitted to unckeck the digital rights management box in Windows Media Player and ended up getting a bill which he payed. Legally dubious but probably a nuisance to fight.

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The Ascent of Man' TV series is an example of the BBC dragging their feet regarding the Distribution Rights for this in the UK, whilst Time-Life had. You could purchase copies of the series on VHS cassettes in the US, but not import them into the UK, whilst the BBC could not sell copies the series over here, until 2006.