1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

My medication copay went down by 50%,,, :rolleyes:

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Successful test:D

PSX_20200801_144241.jpg

Need some bigger gears on it as that's as fast as my legs could spin the 38t outer ring.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Well "on average" it shouldn't have been working, being limited to 25 km/h :).

The fastest I did my lock-down loop (31 km, 209 m elevation) averaged 23.4 km/h so your 26.3 is commendable. Since I started logging on Strava at the beginning of lockdown I've done 2,166 km, 15,175 m elevation in 107.25 hrs - which is 20.2 km/h on average.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Uphill it was still doing 20km/h and downhill the limiting factor was the short gearing and my legs....my bike without a motor can do 70km/h. The 500W motor produces 35nm of torque and if you lift the back wheel and press the "throttle" the wheel spins up to an indicated 38km/h

I don't like these new fangled 2x and 1x gearing setups on modern mountain bikes as they don't have a big enough range and the narrower the chain the quicker stuff wears out, particularly with mid-drive motors added. 3x9 was fine, IMHO.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not true. The motor is limited to 25 km/h. The bike itself can go faster than that though when taken into account gradient and pedal power.

6. PeteRob

Ok - it's not a pedelec then but an electric bike. Coming home thursday we passed a lad riding one of those (illegally) on the road. I couldn't understand it at first as he was pumping his legs away like mad, then stopped pedalling and sped off. No helmet (actually no shirt) and wobbling all over the place.

7. dream_police

That's proper cheating having a throttle that actually powers your wheels.

Actually mine does but at a very slow walk pace to assist if you were using it along for some reason.

8. PeteRob

Yes I was being facetious with the "on average". If the course was all downhill it would not be impressive. The Times annoys me as it keeps reporting that pedelecs [can only ] go up to 25 km/h. They are actually hard work to ride faster (when not going downhill). I have a Cannondale Synapse Neo road bike and it weighs maybe 20 kg than the equivalent road bike - plus I'm 20 kg heavier than I should be. So if the club push the pace up to 30 km/h I tend to get lost off the back.

The assist tapers off and the bike over-reads its speed so to all intents and purposes it is all human effort above 21 km/h.

Electric bikes with a throttle are classed as mopeds so need licence, insurance and full helmet to ride on the road.

Pedelecs are also limited to 250 W assistance - a 500 W motor that Andrew has got is a lot of help!

9. PeteRob

It'll go faster than that - it is the rider who backs off first. I chicken out well before that - 50 km/h and I am a deeply unhappy person.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Before 2x & 1x were introduced I removed the large outside chainring on my MTB as I never had any use for a 44x11 gear. Now I use 32/22 chainrings with 11/34 cassette. My 70 year old (almost) legs just about cope with that setup over Cannock Chase.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It has both pedal assist and throttle. A disclaimer had to be signed agreeing not to use the naughty settings on the road.

This one does that too although awkwardly by holding a button on the control panel. When shoving the bikes up some woodland steps I found it easier to use the throttle and let the wheel spin it's way up:oops:.

Aye, I've had bigger gearing on other bikes but I find it's rare I pedal out the 42-11 gearing on my hardtail. And on my favourite trails I end up in the middle of the cassette which I like too:).

Understandable....few trails at trail centres are over 30mph and a 32-11 should easily do that:) One of the Pentland Hills nearest me has a straight line down through a sheep field that is easy 40mph+ with long enough gears.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

My commute averages at under 25kmh but was slower on ebike. Had to push approx 300w just to keep it at about 27kmh... The slow bits are slow on any bike, unless ridden dangerously. Still plan to get an ebike though - our top pick was unavailable but 2021 version hopefully confirmed this week in which case an order will be made.

daft_biker likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Bike stuff is worse than chess.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think my bursa bursted!

THe feeling down my leg was just like when the shoulder one eased. For all the world you would have thought someone poured cold water down he back of my calf. So weird. Hopefully onwards and upwards. I nearly phoned the surgery. Phew, a lucky escape.

15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

RTBC. Got a phone call from my cousin today, he was in my area this afternoon so we met up for a drink

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pfft, say that when we've taken up the best part of three pages arguing over whether someone did or did not say something in the first place. o_O

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

RTBC Got an email from UK-Covid-research this morning. I did not have covid-19 last Friday morning. They do state that the test is not 100% conclusive.
    I wonder how good the estimates of general public's infection levels are. The instructions on how to self administer the test are clear but it is surprisingly difficult to carry them out perfectly. The selection of participants in the research may well be random. Some people will not respond, and some will try to help but fail to complete the test successfully.

18. dream_police

Was it a nasal swab? Having had one administered by a nurse, it really wasn't pleasant. If it is one of those, I do wonder how many would get it right up their own nostril as far as I assume it is required?

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

A bit like a do it yourself prostate examination I'd imagine... :)

John Farrell and Danno like this.
  20. dream_police

I'll take your word for it.

John Farrell likes this.