1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Glad I have it. Autoglass still haven’t got me a replacement screen, so my main car is stuck on the drive.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The battery on my E-M1 Mk3 has been playing up, eventually only getting 100 shots from a charge. Called up LCE and they got a replacement (via Olly) in just under 3 days, which I collected from the shop, as the Manager was still going in to deal with the Reading branches emails and orders. Replacement battery charging up fine (original took ages) and reckon it's functioning properly.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

As a small thank you for keeping things going as much as we can- the boss here is letting us all go an hour early!

Catriona likes this.
  4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Living in lockdown has shown how little money my household can really live on. I'm quids in!!

MickLL

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Quick! Hide it in your mattress.

On Radio 4 this morning the ex-governor of the Bank of England (I think) was talking about the possibility of negative interest rates (you pay the bank to store your money) or the return of inflation to the 10% - 20% range.

:oops:

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Did he mention the possibility that negative interest rates would cause a run on the banks? I for one would not leave any money in a bank and pay them for the privilege.

MickLL

Zou likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That seemed to be the point of the discussion.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seeing as the banks don't really make much money from retail banking, it sounds like an austerity-like measure to ensure that someone else pays for their speculation losses.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't forget that inflation may go out of control.
    Its probably a bit late to invest in gold. https://www.gold.co.uk/gold-price/6-month-gold-price/

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

People do. My bank is forever trying to get me to "switch to a premium account" and, as a result, pay for my banking. In practical terms standard savings interest rates (0.1% p.a.) have been "negative" with respect to inflation for a very long time. I think many investment savings schemes already charge, my investment ISA does, although the amount is nominal (as are the savings in it). It didn't carry a charge when I started it.

11. LesleySM

A year or so back my bank persuaded me to have a "Rewards" account I pay them £2 every month and got 3% back on my utility bills, mobile contract, council tax etc and various offers like 25% off NowTV passes, which was nice when I wanted to watch "Game of Thrones" most months I would have round about £12 to add to my account so I was up on the deal. They changed the rules a couple of months back so now it ends up I get a fiver still £3 up on the deal (most of the special offers now are things like spend £150 with some vastly overpriced retailer I will never use)

But here is what grinds my gears, 27th of each month my utility bills are paid, 1st of each month my council tax goes out a week later my Rewards account lists the money as "pending", so here I am 23 days after my council tax came out and that fiver from those bills shows a "pending" and probably will until get paid again then takes 5 working days to be moved from the Rewards account to my current account! Yet if someone sends me money via Pay
    Pal or I do a transfer to another account or someone transfers money to me it is instantaneous!

12. LesleySM

Gear grinding....

Keyboards and lock down....

A while back I brought a cheap wireless keyboard it was okay I use my keyboard a lot as I am sure you can all work out! Not keen on the fact it was smaller than I am used to.

Batteries ran out about 3 weeks back, replaced them and fine until today when for no reason I can see it stopped working. Luckily, I had a very old keyboard lying around that hadn't worked properly since the resident natural force of destruction split a can of beer on it. Yes something else to add to Ganzi's damage list! Okay got it out and it works although every so often I have to lever a key up with a pen but as I use it more it seems to be working better but I am going to need a new keyboard.

Argh! Obviously I cannot just pop to the local PC World at the moment so I am going to end up having to get one delivered and the delivery cost is more than the cost of the bloody thing in the first place!

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I need a new one too - or just a new key. It's a Christmas one at present. No-L. Well, it has an L it's just blank now!

AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  14. PeteRob

That’s where touch typing helps. The keyboard for my wife’s computer is devoid of letter markings on the common keys.

Catriona likes this.
  15. LesleySM

Until it got worked in a bit I has a massive problem with the apostrophe key " '" I had to keep typing "do not" rather than "don't" etc but now things are starting to get less stiff as I use them it seems to be okay in fact this old keyboard is like me right now scruffy but works!

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  16. LesleySM

I am also a touch typist but that is sod all help when the keys are sticking

Catriona likes this.
  17. PeteRob

Should be possible to clean them using a small paintbrush and distilled water or contact cleaner. On the old keyboards they used to be push-fit. Important not to take them all off at once. Pick an unused key to see if it comes off easily.

18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Do they do a wheelchair version I have always wanted to know how much exercise I am not doing ;)

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Unexpectedly the sparks was able to come and connect the 'lekky in the obsy. Also got two deliveries from Wickes, including a shed load (Geddit) of cladding. Mind you, Wickes have a Schrödinger site, where you only find out if stufff is either in stock or not at checkout when you collapse the wavefunction depending on whether the cat is alive or dead, or bloody furious (As I was).

20. LesleySM

I used this sorta gel stuff I have you roll it over the keyboard then push all the keys down and it oozes between the keys then you pull it off and it lifts up and brings all the cr*p between the keys up with it (an impressive amount in this case) and now I don't think I need a new keyboard just yet as everything is working like a dream

Learning, Catriona and John Farrell like this.