1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I am talking the 1950s. :) When interest rates seemed stuck about 4.5%

Zou likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

looking out the window I saw a bird almost crash land on next door's tree.
    Turns out it was a bird I'd not seen around here before a Jay.
    Flew off before I could get the camera...

Zou and MJB like this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

Catriona likes this.
  4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

They've finally opened up the terrace on the top floor at work! We can now go outside to have lunch if we want to (I mean we have always had that option but the nearest open space, Whitfield Gardens, has been closed for renovation for ages)

Catriona likes this.
  5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Last night my eye that got whapped with a stick felt like I had scratched my eyeball. Feels brand new today:)

Dan S and AndyTake2 like this.
  6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Weird I woke up about 4.30 this morning with a really sharp stabbing pain in my left eye, it seemed to pass off but when I woke up, it was back with a vengeance and my eye was massively bloodshot and the eyelid was well and truly puffed up but thankfully it seems to have completely settled down

daft_biker likes this.
  7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

As you know, I have a daughter who lives in Korea. Two days running they've reported less than 50 cases of coronavirus. The figures are probably the most accurate in the world, given the amount of testing they have been doing. They also deported a woman who refused to isolate for 14 days on arrival.

neilt3 and Dan S like this.
  8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's very liberal if them , just deporting her .
    Who copped for getting her back , or was she just dropped off half way , without a parachute ?

Andrew Flannigan and daft_biker like this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

She was from Taiwan. South Korea has always been strict on non-tourists entering the country, even before covid-19

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Yes , but where did they send her ?
    I bet Taiwan didn't want her back either , without quarenteen !

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Back to Taiwan.

12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Presumably she'll be detained there as I would imagine all country's are enforcing some sort of volentry self isolation / quarenteen ?

MJB likes this.
  13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I assume so.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Wonder if they enforce it though?

Not seen anything to enforce it here...seems to amount to expecting people to police themselves rather than keeping them in a secure location. Not that I expect it would be easy to magic up secure quarantine facilities but as far as I'm concerned that's a risk travellers need to accept in order to protect the general population from pandemics.

We've been lucky to get this far without one on this scale and going back to the way it was is asking for worse.

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

South Korea has built quarantine facilities specifically for people with non-resident status. The Taiwanese woman refused to go into one.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Good to know however I think we need one for residents too. The risk of ending up in one might not be known when leaving the country but could be accepted if the trip is important enough.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

If we'd enforced quarantine restrictions from the moment the new virus was identified we might not be in the state we are now. :(

neilt3 and Learning like this.
  18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I ventured outside the front of house today and noticed that the bulbs in the flower trough I made a few years ago were putting on a fine display. I even took a few photos, made my day after working on my laptop for seemingly hours. Little things.

Dan S, neilt3 and Catriona like this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The difference between us and South Korea, is when the South Koreans were asked to stay at home they didn't all go to the seaside. They've linked around 80% of all positive tests to one person, patient 31, who wouldn't follow the advice.

Zou and daft_biker like this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Other than that, sure, we're the same. ;)

MJB likes this.