1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Back in the 1970s, the lecturer at an electronics course asked us why we thought streetlights were orange sodium lights. The class came up with all sorts of reasons, but missed the important one - they were cheaper than other types.

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

They also last well so they are nearly as bright years later.

That may be also be a reason LEDs seem so bright to start with because they are expected to dim over time more significantly.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I got a first cut of the year on the lawn. Shamed into it by the elderly widow next door who had her gardener round this morning.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My gardener came this morning too. He walked down to the bottom part of the garden, returned to the top to speak to my wife. She asked him what he thought of the horse and he asked “what horse?” He hadn’t even see the bloody thing. It’s not like it is 11 foot tall and he walked only a few meters past it!

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You definitely need a different gardener!

6. dream_police

HaHa. He is actually a good gardener believe it or not. Obviously does it all by smell and touch!

Catriona likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Might he have been turning a diplomatic blind eye? ;)

Learning likes this.
  8. dream_police

Haha possibly.

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

RTBC

Just having a very contented day, lie in with toast and coffee, met some friends for a drink, had a nice tea and set up a sausage casserole in the slow cooker that will easily do until about Wednesday (Love my slow cooker, leave on low all day and come home from work in the week and dinner is waiting for me) and had a shower. Spent evening watching "Game of Thrones"

John Farrell likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The weather! Dry, sunny, not very windy, and relatively mild. Needless to say, it won't last... Yellow warning for snow tomorrow.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

He might have been looking at your disgracefully neglected lawn. No excuse Nige. You have shown pictures of it.
    Regards John.
    PS some of the shrubs could do with a trim before the end of March.

12. dream_police

The place I am working tomorrow has a yellow snow warning. I hope I end up with a snow day!

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yellow snow? Oh no!

Zou likes this.
  14. dream_police

Far from neglected. Our gardener who we’ve had for years(he used to do our old house) is a capable guy and also does work for the NT. It is a shocking lawn though in places. It gets fed, de mossed with organic feed etc but unfortunately a lot of it has been laid over a cobbled farm yard by previous owners and has very little soil under it. If it wasn’t too much work/cost we’d have it replaced.

Learning and Catriona like this.
  15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Predictable, but always raises a smile!

16. Learning

Dig it up, or pay someone to dig it up, or get your shirt off, and boots on, and dig it up with anyone who will help you. Store the soil to the side and then dig up the cobbles.Store the cobbles. Put the soil back and get your gardener to advise and then sow a new lawn.
    Cobbles. Use them for a very uncomfortable yet extremely classy patio, or sell them. Good cobbles, in the right market and quantity are valuable.
    Whatever you do, do not expect your gardener to dig up the cobbles. Digging up cobbles is a job for East European labourers (as long as you can get them)or friends who will do it for a good pig or Bamby roast . Your gardener is a 'professional'.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

As long as you watch out where the huskies go

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Fer Christ's sake, it's green isn't it? What more do you want?

19. Learning

It might well be green now. We've had a damp winter. Look forward to summer. Lawns laid on cobbles go a sort of patchy brown.

20. dream_police

It doesn’t get that bad. It’s really not worth the trouble or the expense. It is a large lawn. Not all of it is on cobbles but to sort it it would all need replacing. I can live with it.

Catriona likes this.