1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reasons to be Cheerful.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Zou likes this.
  3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I went on a tour around the nuclear power station at Sizewell, Suffolk, many years ago and was surprised by how sparsely-staffed the place was. The only thing of note that happened on my tour was as I was leaving the main reactor building, when I was suddenly half-deafened by a siren going off. I was busy bending over in an attempt to kiss my backside goodbye in the expectation that I'd soon be a glow-in-the-dark crispy critter when the guide informed me that the siren wasn't a warning of impending disaster but a notification that it was the staff lunch break.

Cheers, Jeff

4. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Reminds me of a story told by my Prof at university. He was engaged on some research that involved discharging large banks of capacitors - and they went off with a bang. He was in the USA looking at a similar experiment that, of course, was bigger and better than his. He was warned not to be scared when the capacitors went off. When they did he was determined to be unimpressed. After the big bang he was the only man standing - all the Americans had hit the ground. The capacitor bank had 'blown' and the bang had exceeded all expectations.

MickLl

Footloose and Fishboy like this.
  5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Just come back from watching 'Parasite' at my nearest Showcase Cinema and reckon it's well worth watching. Whilst watching the trailers, (which I usually try avoiding) I see that at the end of this month they will be showing the 'Dark Waters' film, which is about the class action taken out against DuPont and 3M in 2002. That should be worth seeing!
    https://qz.com/1630348/dupont-and-3m-face-a-growing-list-of-water-contamination-lawsuits/

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Internet at home went down the Friday before last so called the helpdesk the next morning only to find they were closed and I needed to call them Monday so I did....

After many attempts I got through only to told the tech guys could reset things remotely as long as:
    1, My hub was switched on
    2. It was a Technicolour hub
    3. It was not the white one

Guess who has a white Technicolour hub?

Had to call the out of hours line since I am at work during office hours, that was Wednesday ended up they sent me some instructions.. after they could not get it sorted.

Thursday I was out all day but Friday after a lot of attempts with their instructions I managed to get the internet light to show green but still could not connect so yesterday back to the out of hours tech line

No idea what either of us did but just as she was asking me what results I got through connectivity testing when I spotted some of those (previously annoying) pop ups from FB appearing on my monitor.! So yes I am back!

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Yippee.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Back when PCs were brand new and the internet was novel we signed up with a local business provider, their servers did nothing at night in those days so they took on some domestic customers. They used to send a monthly newsletter and a Christmas card. You could phone, or go down and talk to Colin who ran the technical side, if you had a problem. They were bought out by a bigger company, but thirty years on I think that would still hold. Can’t remember the last time we had a problem!

Zou likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

A mixed bag.
    Bit on toast, broke front tooth corner.
    Phoned dentist, got an appointment. Been, done, done the shopping too.
    Now getting used to the tooth being a bit bigger than it was and the adjacent one grumbling.
    Such is life.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My horse is here. We are not putting it where we thought. It is too heavy to lift that high without a chance of it being dropped and the ground under the greenery isn't suitable. So it is living here. It has 5, thick, foot long stakes securing it into the ground so hopefully it won't be going anywhere. It actually looks pretty cool. Better than in the photos, but isn't that normally the case. Will be ever better when the sun is shining. I've got some solar powered spot lights so it will be lit at night too.

[​IMG]horse1 by Nigel G, on Flickr

[​IMG]horse2 by Nigel G, on Flickr

And from below. The monkeys aren't out today.

[​IMG]horse3 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Edit. The sun has just come out a touch.

[​IMG]horse4 by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    daft_biker, Zou, John Farrell and 5 others like this.
  11. Catriona

Fabulous!!
    It's perfect there. I especially like the view over the wall.

dream_police likes this.
  12. Catriona

Yeah! I'm glad it has the stakes into the ground. Good anchors.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Gah! Solar powered garden lights :mad:. More light pollution.
    To borrow a slogan, every little hurts.

14. dream_police

The guy in the AirBnB will come back after work and be like WTF as it stares into his lounge which is just left of the first photo!

Catriona likes this.
  15. dream_police

HaHa, I wondered how long it be be before someone commented.:)

Sorry.

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Nige, but as you might guess, I have strong views on outside lighting.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I need outside lighting to have any sort of views after dark.. poor night vision

Catriona likes this.
  18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I need no outside lighting, LP ruins imaging as well as visual astronomy. Plus it stuffs up the ecosystem.

19. Catriona

Well I'll be happy to see it lit up, Nige. I expect Sirius wiull still be visible in the sky at night.

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member