1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REALLY !!!! how to load film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, May 26, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I watch youtube, photo etc and am amazed by the fact that videos exist now on how to load film, one I saw even told people what film is :( :( :( syas he taking out his Nikkormat FT2 today with Weston Euromaster 2

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

To be fair, digital has been around for a long time. I suspect that there is a lot of young people who have never seen a film camera. I can just about remember my father showing me how to load a 120 folder when I was a stripling. Probably not an option for many these days.

S

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not surprised at all. My 22 yr old only learnt about film in 6th form as part of her studies and the school had a darkroom. Why would any young person nowadays need to know about film. Yes there are film fans, I used to use film (obviously as I had no choice) I used to work in the industry too, but I cannot for the life of me remember when I last used it.
    Would be interested to see if I could spool film in a darkroom as quick as I used to be able to, or indeed if I could do it all!

As there is a bit of a resurgence with film, it is good that there are instructional videos about it.

Catriona likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I remember a few years struggling to load film into a spiral to develop it, it was something like 20 years since the last time I had developed a film.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Both my cameras are circa 2008, and Olympus were running ads announcing the death of film a good decade before that - you don't need to be that young to have never come across film before. I'd certainly want instructions on how to load, for example, a dark slide. Thinking about it - I loaded my Leica MDa for the first time in a year or two a month or so back and I had a pig of a job until I worked out that it should go under the frame for the data recorder*, not over it.

*Not sure that's the correct phrase, but there's an extra window in the back next to the film gate for recording data onto your film.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My father is 78 and never loaded a roll of film in a camera in his life. All our family snaps were either with a Kodak 'instamatic' 135 or a Halina 110.

7. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Before it gets to the camera

DSC_2281_01.jpg

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Dark slides are dead easy, just (in dark bag etc) pull the slide out enough to release the bottom flap, slide the film in (right way around obvs), push flap back and secure with slide. Most slides also have a wee hook thing at the top to then lock the slide in place.

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Yet I've heard of people having many problems loading 5x4 & getting it to stay flat.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There are wee grooves to slide the film under so that shouldn't be a problem. I think what happens sometimes is people pull the slide right out and then somehow get one edge or both into the slide groove rather than the film groove. There are different designs of slides though, so maybe an issue I haven't encountered. Mine are Toyo if I recall correctly, although I also have one beautifully over-engineered Linhof DDS.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've loaded 120 inside out before. Embarrassing.

12. Petrochemist

Not a problem when you know the tricks - film loading videos are done for those of us who don't know the tricks...

13. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

A few months ago we had a young guy at our camera club. The talk was about medium format film photography and the speaker was passing some negs round. The young guy was passed one and asked me what it was. He was probably only around 20 year old or so.

14. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

does anybody know what this is?

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Yep

S

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I do (and no that's not an answer to a proposal)

17. Petrochemist

I'd not seen one before, but still instantly recognized it. I guess context was helpful :)

18. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

You mean these ;) ;)

Dscn0611.jpg

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Same here.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes, but never used one.