1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Real beginner

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Meomyo, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Meomyo

Meomyo New Member

Hi all

Joined up for advice and to learn. I have always loved art but I'm useless at painting and drawing, so felt I needed something to fill that need, photography seemed the obvious choice.

Finding it an expensive and somewhat overwhelming hobby so far!

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If you tell us what type of pictures you want to take, and your budget, and some helpful suggestions will certainly follow. Like many things, how expensive it is depends on how much you choose to spend. For example, you can get some really good older model digital cameras second hand if you know what to look for, which is why the consideration of subject and budget are important.

Perhaps photography is just one form of art (everybody probably has a different opinion). See if your local library (which may now be open again, subject to certain rules about social distancing and hand cleaning) has any books about photographers and their work - some pictures taken 50 or 100 years ago may inspire you.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I’m useless at drawing and painting too, and not much better at photography - but I don’t try for art :)

Photography was never a cheap hobby but most people start from modest beginnings. The main thing is to buy on the basis of need rather than want, or worse, what other people say you should buy.

There are some basic things to learn but it isn’t that complicated. The great thing(s) about modern cameras is that you can get good results “out of the box”, running costs are low, the technical information about each shot is automatically recorded and you can get instant feedback on the results. With mirrorless cameras you also get a preview of the “result” with respect to whether the exposure is right for what you want.

4. Meomyo

Meomyo New Member

Hi thanks for the replies. I do already have a camera (Canon 2000D) and a few lenses, still finding my feet

5. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

Welcome Meomyo, After your initial gear purchase, things are no longer that expensive. :)

6. John Fantastic

John Fantastic Active Member

Same with me Meomyo, I have always admired paintings unfortunately I cant so I took photography as a hobby intead. :)

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Welcome. Do stick some things in Appraisals and we'll try to help.

8. Meomyo

Meomyo New Member

Hi all,

As to the question above, my main interest is macro, botany and anything outdoors. I am not interested in taking pictures of people or pets etc. I have a Canon 2000d and various lenses, my most used its the Sigma macro lens. any tips would be great. I watch an awful lot of videos, but still struggle with knowing which setting to use in any given situation., mainly to do with aperture and shutter speed.

Thanks