1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reactions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Rog,

Not as fast as they used to be. But still not too bad. That's one of several reasons I drive slower than I used to 40 years ago.

Cheers,

R.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I beat my age the first time by thirteen years and achieved thirty-one years lower on the third try. This actually bothers me a little, I am fully conscious that my driving is not as good as it was, it means there are a lot of people out there, many who are notably younger than myself who have measurably poorer reactions.

4. Roger_Provins

First time it said I am 56 and on the second try it said I'm 44. I'm actually 76.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The test is rubbish. I finished my dinner about one and a half hours ago and while preparing and eating my meal drank enough Cote Du Rhone to know that I was not sober. I certainly would not have driven. Yet this silly test suggested that at worst I was 36 years old and at best 32. I am actually over 75. The stop signal appeared on the screen in exactly the same place every time. A better test would have been to include a test of peripheral vision. The 'test' over estimates one's ability to react quickly in a real situation. Its just too crude.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I got an age of 31, I'm 48. Mind you I probably would have been quicker using a mouse instead of a touch screen.

7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

First time it gave an age of 32.... tried it twice more and it said it wasn’t sure if I was a human being with a reaction time of 284 milliseconds and age of 18. Not only is it rubbish but it’s extremely rude.

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I tried it a couple of times - to "get into the swing", so to speak - and it gave ages of 42, 28, and 24.

I then tried again and received the same comment as you @Gezza (about not being human!), with a reaction time of 293 milliseconds. Seems like a load of nonsense, to me.:rolleyes:

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's always the possibility that it's just another fiendishly complicated experiment run on humans by the white mice. ;)

10. peterba

They'd probably have made a better job of it, though! :)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Dear Peter,

Only "probably"?

And who do you THINK invented online questionnaires?

Cheers,

R,

peterba likes this.
  12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

1st try - 38
    2nd try - 29
    3rd try - 19

I’m 35.

13. Roger Hicks

Would that I could achieve a similar improvement in bed!

Remember thy creator in the days of thy youth. (Ecclesiastes)

Cheers,

R.

14. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

I got an age of 36. If only my wife would believe it!!!!

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Just somebody trying to write something that goes viral?

peterba likes this.
  16. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

1st ... 36
    2nd ... 28
    3rd .... 22

Not too bad for a 61 year old stroke patient.

peterba likes this.
  17. peterba

Roger, You've just caused me to remember a thriller, by Desmond Bagley (not sure of the title), that I read as a young man. Not my kind of thing, these days, but I enjoyed it at the time.

IIRC, in the story (which long precedes the internet), the author postulates the notion that crossword puzzles are part of a conspiracy by the murky forces of government, as a means of distracting the (thinking) population from, errrrr.... thinking - because, of course, having a sufficient number of people thinking just might spell trouble for the government.

Thank goodness that - today, with our current government, and with the internet in play, too - we can all sit back and chuckle about such an obviously outlandish idea..... o_O:eek:

Roger Hicks and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  18. Roger_Provins

Talking of crosswords, there was a run of Daily Telegraph crosswords just prior to D Day when the code word names for the landing beaches were some of the solutions!

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

At my wife's last eye check-up she did really badly on the peripheral vision test. "Do you drive?" asked the optician somewhat nervously. "No" she replied. "Good." :D

20. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Went from 43, to 25, 18 then to "We're not sure you're an actual Human being' (271ms) -must be my cycling on Birmingham's road that's improved my reaction times.