1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re;- Sony A7r camera with Leica lenses.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Alphonso, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Alphonso

Alphonso Well-Known Member

I am in the future going to up grade to a Sony A7r Full frame camera. I understand that you can fit Leica Lenses with an adapter to this Sony camera body. I think that Sony Have only a couple of lenses as yet but, in the future hope to add to their collection

Has any one any experience of which Leica lenses to buy. Also, which not to buy. In this weeks A.P. 15-03-14 . Ian Burley discusses the Leica Elmarit -M 24mm f/2.8 Asph lens and carries out tests on Sony Alpha 7.

I found the article very interesting. At £3,000 , and to have crop factor, I shall not be buying one.

I look forward to any recommendation that you may have.

Alphonso.

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I would suggest that rather than spending thousands on Leica glass which will not be correctly profiled by the camera, wait a few months and see what Sony come out with. Zeiss are also said to be planning a range of MF lenses (similar to the ZF series) optimised for the FE standard.

Current options are 28-70mm variable max aperture kit zoom, 24-70mm f4 Zeiss zoom, 35mm f2.8 Zeiss, 55mm f1.8mm Zeiss, and the 70-200mm f4 G should be available very soon. The roadmap shows a wide zoom, macro and others for release either this year or next. Rumour websites expect an announcement next month for the next couple of lenses, and possibly another FE body.

4. Alphonso

Thank you for your replies. I don't think that I shall be buying a SonyA7 or the A7r . Until Sony addresses the problem with the Light leaks into the Camera. It is not only the light leaks . It is the fact that the camera will not be Dust tight or water tight.

I am so disappointed with the report recently on Google about this. I was intending to upgrade to a full frame camera with Sony.
    Alphonso.

5. Alex1994

You may find this article interesting, especially the comparison with Nikon and Canon DSLR 'light leaks'!
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/07/do-concerns-about-sony-a7-light-leaks-hold-water

A friend has an A7r and took a number of night time shots in London recently, at low shutter speeds, although under one second, with no problems at all. As the article above says, if you use a very high ISO with a very bright light source it may be a problem ... But not just for Sony cameras!

6. Alphonso

Thank you for your reply. The links that you have sent are very interesting. I have seen the video on You tube. As, has been discussed these problems are activated by shining a very bright light into the and around the lens flange. Which as you state, are not normal conditions. The question still remains. Is the Sony A7r dust proof. and water tight. We will have to wait and see if anyone has these problems. In normal usage.
    Alphonso.

7. Alex1994

Not a scientific test, but it was also raining, and he hasn't noticed any problems yet. :)

8. Alphonso

Thank you. I will have to wait and see, Sony may make an update to the camera.

I was drawn to Sony by its size. A full frame camera that will take Zeiss lenses. That is my ambition
    And you don't need free wheelbarrow to carry the kit.

Alphonso

9. bob foto

bob foto New Member

There should not be any crop factor as the Sony is a full frame camera