1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Re-sizing video files

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by gray1720, Jul 21, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

SWMBO took a video of my lawnmower running at the weekend, which I would like to share online, but the Canon G10 produces video files at about 1mb/second run time - so it's pretty big.

Can I use DPP to reduce the size of the file, or has anyone got a better idea?

Thanks!

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I don't have a Canon but in the past I have resized videos by converting them to another format using both an online converter and a video editing suite (no idea which one). I believe MP4 format is a lot smaller (compressed) than say .mov or AVI for instance.

https://www.online-convert.com/

3. gray1720

Ta! I shall try to make time for a go tonight.

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Have you got Photoshop?
    You can open the file, edit it, add captions, effects, etc., and then export it to the size you want.

Or, there is a shareware programme called Hamster Free Video Converter from Hamstersoft. I've used it loads of times for converting video to different sizes and/or formats. I should probably mention that it's Russian.
    Link - https://videoconverter.hamstersoft.com/free-video-converter/

5. gray1720

I have Elephants 9, so I might be a bit behind on features... But I also have the book, so I can look it up.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

VLC can convert formats too. It's another free app.

7. gray1720

Done - see RTBC! Thank you all very much.