1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw Processing...

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Camera_shy74, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Camera_shy74

Camera_shy74 Member

Hi,

Due to total lack of funds at the moment, I have only got Picasa 3 and Nixon ViewNX for editing my raw images and neither are very good. Both Picasa and ViewNX massively reduce the file size of Jpegs once they're saved and as I only have a 14mp camera, the images only end up around 3MB or even less! :(

Does anyone please have any suggestions as to how I could get slightly better editing software for free???

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Many people on a budget find that the GIMP does what they need.

Camera_shy74 likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So there's a lot of mixed terminology here. File size (3MB) doesn't directly equate to megapixels. RAW images aren't JPEGS. Picasa supports non-destructive editing of RAW and JPEGS and only exporting them 'sets' the changes in stone and you can choose which size and quality to export them as.

Maybe we need to start again.

Which file format are you taking the images in, .NEF / .CR2 (RAW) or JPEG (not RAW)?

Oh, and what camera do you have?

4. Camera_shy74

Camera_shy74 Member

Ok, I'm shooting in RAW and JPEG and yes I know Picasa supports non destructive editing of both, but even when I export the edited image and save it as large and best quality, it's still only saving the images as 2 or 3MB images. I have a Nikon D3100, so 14MP.

5. Camera_shy74

Camera_shy74 Member

Have now downloaded Gimp, thanks! :)

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

and if you want to develop raw files RawTherapee is as comprehensive as it is incomprehensible.

As above - the ultimate size of the image on disk after conversion to jpg depends on the compression settings and whether or not you resized it. By default I save jpegs to Flickr sized 800 pixels longest size and < 200 kB size. Always amazes me that a 50+MB raw file still "works" after that downsizing.

peterba and Camera_shy74 like this.
  7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Gimp is an open source alternative to Photoshop, it. is a bit of a learning curve but not to bad. The best thing is that it does everything you need and it does it well for free.
    I would go to www.gimp.org for the latest version.

Camera_shy74 likes this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That amused me, Pete, and it's actually quite a good summary of RawTherapee!

Despite its undeniably daunting (to the newcomer) interface, RT is a very good piece of software - even more so, since it's free. :)

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You're still telling us file sizes - they're pretty much unimportant. If you're saving the files as large and best quality, what pixel resolution is that and what JPG 'quality' is it (sometimes 1-10, sometimes 1-100, with 10 or 100 being 'best' and 7/8 or 70/80 being 'normal')?

If I save JPGs with 100% quality (inefficient, but I do it for prints), at a resolution of 5300 x 3500 then sizes are between 5MB and 8MB depending on the kind of image. Changing that to 90% (or very high quality, impossible to tell the difference from the 100% image) then they're 2.3MB in size. So I'm not sure why your file sizes worry you?

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

If you're saving as a JPEG - even at "large and best quality" - there will still be a degree of compression in the JPEG format. The way to save all the information - without compression - would be to save as a TIF.

11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Granted ViewNX isn't great, Nikon also offer ViewNX-i or Capture NX-d vis the web. Both are bit more sophisticated than ViewNX and might be worth a try. You could also download a trial copy of Serif's AffinityPhoto and try that. It's not madly expensive and if it's like earlier Serif offerings it will still work after the trial period is but with reduced options.

JPEG files are always smaller than raw files. The raw files from my D7000 typically average around 14MB while the resultant, post Photoshop, JPEGs are generally 5 or less...

Camera_shy74 likes this.